Cratering Raku Glaze

centered

Hi I was wondering why my raku glaze looks like huge craters and easily flakes off. when i raku fire should i bring the temperature up slowly and hold it there for some time? do you think this may help? Or... did i apply the glaze too thick? i found that my kiln will get up to 1850 degrees within 10-15 minutes. this was my first firing and will do many more test firings soon. thanks

When firing by vision information rather than pyrometer, the glaze does through stages easily observed visually.

I always equated the crater state as the "pancake ready to flip" then shortly after that , the glaze fluxes and turns to glistening shimmering

wet look, which means pull it out of the kiln. Put a small ^06 in there to see how close the pyrometer is reading.

Your crater stage is under fired. Maybe your pyrometer is off. Also go a little slower. 10-15 minute for the first firing may be a little fast. Fire visually if you are using shiny glazes. Get to the shimmering wet stage visually.

Marcia

When firing by vision information rather than pyrometer, the glaze does through stages easily observed visually.

I always equated the crater state as the "pancake ready to flip" then shortly after that , the glaze fluxes and turns to glistening shimmering

wet look, which means pull it out of the kiln. Put a small ^06 in there to see how close the pyrometer is reading.

Your crater stage is under fired. Maybe your pyrometer is off. Also go a little slower. 10-15 minute for the first firing may be a little fast. Fire visually if you are using shiny glazes. Get to the shimmering wet stage visually.

Marcia

Just like Marcia said. I prefer to use visual conditions to know if I'm up to temperature. That shimmering, once seen is hard to forget and tells you the glaze is "a point" . It's been my eperience that the visual clues are actually more accurate than using instrumentation and a whole lot faster. Good luck,

Regards,

Charles

Archived