8 replies to this topic

#1 DMCosta

DMCosta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

Bare with me, I'm relatively new at glaze making...

I recently made 250g of a yellow-brown glaze, a grey-brown glaze, and a transparent. All low fire cone 04, all with the same base ingredients. They all fired very gritty and rough feeling, and lack any shine or 'glass like' look. The kiln fired properly I got the recipes from a reputable glaze book. I wanted to tweak the recipe to get them more shiny but what can I do? Will adding more silica/flint help? If so how much more to a 250g sample?

Thanks for your help
~Dianna

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,928 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:29 PM

you could try an small increase of silica line 1 or 2 % for starters
.or it could require a soaking at the maturing temperature during the firing.
'Marcia

#3 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

They all fired very gritty and rough feeling,

Did you sieve the glazes?

#4 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,640 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

For batches that small, sieving can be difficult. A stick blender works really well for smoothing out small batches.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#5 Bob Coyle

Bob Coyle

GEEZER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

The glaze might not have fluxed, or it may have a lot of un-dissolved material left in it which would also cause roughness.

For small batches of test glaze, I sieve the finished glaze through a standard 10 cup coffee filter basket. I use a 1 inch paint brush and swirl it around inside the filter basket to help force the glaze through the fine mesh. This way even the most stubborn lumps get blended in.  Any crud in the raw materials gets left in the basket.

#6 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 2nd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

You can also buy a Talisman test sieve, it's small, comes in different mesh sizes and fits inside a small plastic container from the paint aisle. You can use a rib or a brush to work it through. I bought mine for making small batches of colored slip up so I can mix the mason stain in evenly but now that I am starting to test glazes find they work for that too. I don't have a stick blender yet will have to see if I can find a cheap one but until then the sieve seems to be working.

Terry
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#7 DMCosta

DMCosta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

Thank you everyone for the advice, I did indeed sieve the glaze, I always do. Still perplexed about it, I may just ditch that recipe all together and move forward with something different. 

#8 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

What was your thickness of application? Is your clay body a smooth one? Did you apply straight after mixing? Just wondering here.

What's the recipe?

#9 Wyndham

Wyndham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationSeagrove NC

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

Wollastinte and zinc oxide can harden in the bag over time, we need to see the recipe to help

Wyndham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users