#21 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

I think my presence here is testament as to how I feel about sharing. You will notice that I refrain fromtalking much about glaze and clay chemistry. I don't know enough, so I leave it to those that do (sensei John). I loved teaching, and here I can still help someone.

Maybe this is the thread summed up in a nutshell. We share what we are comfortable to share. 

#22 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

I posted my favorite black glaze here but most do not work in reduction cone 10-never got anyfeed back on anyone using it.

I am selective as mentioned -many of the glazes I use are touchy and take time to learn to work with.

I have been given glazes that folks do not want to share as long as I keep them to myself.

I have shared many of mine but only to fellow professionals-

I have been in this business long enough to see the good and the bad and the ugly on this subject.

The last one I shared -the respone back was I cannot get it to work like yours looks-that about wraps it up well.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#23 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

Most of us with reduction experience realize the number of variables invoved in firing. Many realize that unless we know the exact place in the kiln rate of temp time, time length and placement of oxidation and reduction, exact cone angle to fire to that we still wouldd have to go through several firings to get it just right even though we followed the recipe perfectly. Besides we are not even firing the same kiln.
Others however, probably new to reduction or firing think the recipe is allthey need, and don't take the time and considerable effort to figure it out.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#24 Mudslinger Ceramics

Mudslinger Ceramics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:32 AM

So when does copying happen between professionals?

It doesn't happen.  Because if one is copying in that fashion....... there is only one professional present. B)

best,

.......................john

Ah John, you just made my day!....my vanity is soothed a little after the last weeks......

Min, Mea, ...I'm in your camp.......I believe in sharing most but not all.....and I learnt this from my son when he was 4!!

My son's little friend would come to play at our house and like a dutiful mum I told my son to share his toys, 2hours and the all contents of the toy box in backyard later his favourite toy lay in pieces, many tears and a trip to the toy store replaced the tip truck,

The next time he comes the friend wants the truck again and at first I said yes....but as I watched I noticed the little friend keeping the truck to himself and denying my increasingly stressed son access to it while ignoring all the other toys available, he wanted it because he sensed it was my son's favourite....knew I had made a mistake....

during their lunch I put away the truck, they came back to the yard asked about it and then got on with playing together with all the other toys.....after that I would always ask my son to put away any really special toy and openly share the rest and we didn't have the same competitive issue again.....

As a potter I have learnt to share almost but not all as well, I worked exceptionally hard to develop my signature work and I don't have to give it away just because someone else wants it, especially when they intend to directly compete with me,....... yet having said that I teach and give away everything else which can be quite a lot!! ........have had the  lazy, rude, selfish etc people Chris mentions many times and they're not fun at all

So for me I think it's good to share....LOTS! but not all.... at least not until I'm ready to publish it!

Irene

Mudslinger Ceramics :   www.mudslingerceramics.net

'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to.

It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.'

- Robert Henri

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users