WUVIE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNortheastern Oklahoma

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hello!

I will be making a number of sample pieces for clay and glaze examples, but would

like to make little notes on the back of them. Someone told me an underglaze decorating
pencil is needed. Is there not a generic pencil that will not burn off in a kiln?
$11.95 and shipping leads me to think I'll just carve notes instead. :huh:

Many thanks!

It is better to find glory in one's own merit. In fact it is more important to have self-respect than to gain respect from others,
and it is better to earn glory than to publicize it. - Madeleine de Scudéry (1607-1701)

“People of uncommon abilities generally fall into eccentricities when their sphere of life is not adequate to their abilities.”
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#2 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

Just use underglaze and a fine brush if it's not too long a description. I have also used an iron oxide Wash I had laying around. Scratching in with a dull pencil works well too.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#3 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

if you number the tests with a stylus and keep notes on what is on each test in a paper book or a computer, you will be able to make a longer note.  then when you decide to alter the test recipe in some way, you will have a place to write results and additional notes.  later, if you really want them on the test itself, write the notes in a fine point Sharpie once they are fired.  this all assumes the tests are large enough for notes.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#4 WUVIE

WUVIE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNortheastern Oklahoma

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:23 AM

Many thanks to both of you. I like the idea of numbering instead, and keeping notes. :D

It is better to find glory in one's own merit. In fact it is more important to have self-respect than to gain respect from others,
and it is better to earn glory than to publicize it. - Madeleine de Scudéry (1607-1701)

“People of uncommon abilities generally fall into eccentricities when their sphere of life is not adequate to their abilities.”
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#5 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

Jean Otis made her own ceramic "leads " for mechanical pencils using Mason stained colored clays. She fired them to a low bisque and inserted them into th pencil. She used the small hand extruder to form the leads.

BTW Jean demonstrated these at an NCECA many years ago. She shared.

Marcia

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PENCIL, MARK, TAG, SAMPLE, GLAZE, CLAY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users