Good Days, Bad Days

Oh goodness YES.....just climbing out of a month's slump where 'everything' was crap!!!!......forms, glaze application, experiements....all horrible.....some really horrible....some awaiting further judgement.....

.....but it all looked like crap until late last week (I hope), where I ended up with a kiln load of beautiful pale water blue glazed bowls

.....whenever I lose momentum I simplify back to basics which for me are bowls (my favourite form) and my most reliable water blue glaze.....reminds me I can be a decent potter

Irene

I go through a manic day about once an year, I hate everything I have made or currently working on.  I go through my shop and toss everything and start out with a clean slate.  I have learned not to keep any finished piece I like in my shop.  Denice

Necessity is the mother.....

Did you position this on your own? Such skill I would have bashed it all over the place If I had attempted that!

Got you blow torch out?

Yes some days one should gracefully or with dignity leave your shed/studio and go back to bed, or just sit.

Oh absolutely.  It seems that when the work is still wet, I think it's great, and then when it's completely finished all I can see is where it failed to live up to its potential.  I have been feeling that "all my work is pointless crap" feeling for several weeks now, having just finished a delivery of 15 finished pieces to a gallery.  I got an email last week from a teapot show informing me that they sold one of my teapots to the Kamm Teapot Foundation, which started 35 years ago as a private collection by Los Angeles collectors Sonny & Gloria Kamm and has grown to over 10,000 teapots, many of which are on loan to msueums.  On good days, I think "Yaay! I can't totally suck!" and on bad days I think "Well - 10,000 teapots - what's the big deal? It would be harder NOT to be in the collection!"

Downer Jayne :wacko:

Archived