I have a new Paragon Kiln TNF-82 with a 12 key Sentry digital controller. I am so very confused as to the firing schedules. Ie. ramp up. Cool down etc. I used to own a manual kiln with a kiln sitter. I just put the bar in and it shut off when done. Now, can I fire the same way, or do I need to do a ramp up and slow cool? I am firing 12 x 12 x 1/2" tiles. First to bisque, then to ^6. I plan on stacking 4 on each shelf as suggested by an expert to bisque. Do I need to slow cooling down? Does anyone have a firing scedule for bisque and glaze firing I could follow? Its taken 3 weeks to dry these tiles, (46) and I really hate to see them mess up because I did something stupid! I have read all over the internet and have bought several books, but am still so confused!! I am sure i will learn and love my new digital, but right now it's very intimidating!!! Please help!! Please!!!

Thank you

Linda

You bisque to cone 6? Or 06?

Anyhoo.... I've been trying to find the ideal firing schedule for my two kilns for a couple of years. The preprogrammed schedules work just fine. However... Being the way I am.... I wanted to program my own. At least for the glaze, the bisque I do pre-programmed slow bisque. For my glaze firing, i was getting poor iron reds and lack luster crystal formation with the pre programmed glaze schedules. I wanted to take it slow over the top, then quickly to 1900, which seems to help the crystal formation for a few of my often used glazes. Here's what I've settled on.

Ramp 150 to 200deg. Hold for 30

Ramp 400 to 2000deg

Ramp 250 to 2100deg

Ramp 40 to 2145deg

Ramp 60 to 2100deg

Ramp 200 To 1900deg

Ramp 100 to 1750deg

Then off.

Like I said, I've never had a problem with the pre programmed schedules for most glazes, but for me, this seems to help with iron reds, and with crystal formation.

Have fun with your new kiln!

There's nothing wrong with using the pre-programmed Cone Fire firing schedules in your controller. That's why they're there. Medium speed works for most pots, but for tiles you may want to slow down a bit. Slow cooling shouldn't be necessary unless your glazes warrant it, or if the kiln is cooling too quickly and causing cracking.

You bisque to cone 6? Or 06?

Anyhoo.... I've been trying to find the ideal firing schedule for my two kilns for a couple of years. The preprogrammed schedules work just fine. However... Being the way I am.... I wanted to program my own. At least for the glaze, the bisque I do pre-programmed slow bisque. For my glaze firing, i was getting poor iron reds and lack luster crystal formation with the pre programmed glaze schedules. I wanted to take it slow over the top, then quickly to 1900, which seems to help the crystal formation for a few of my often used glazes. Here's what I've settled on.

Ramp 150 to 200deg. Hold for 30

Ramp 400 to 2000deg

Ramp 250 to 2100deg

Ramp 40 to 2145deg

Ramp 60 to 2100deg

Ramp 200 To 1900deg

Ramp 100 to 1750deg

Then off.

Like I said, I've never had a problem with the pre programmed schedules for most glazes, but for me, this seems to help with iron reds, and with crystal formation.

Have fun with your new kiln!

I will fire to 04 for bisque, then finishing with cone 6 with s cone 5 clay. Thank you for your help.

Linda

Here is my schedule to fire to Cone 5 1/2

Rate (F/hour)   Temperature(F)  Hold (min)

100                   220                     0

350                   2000                   0

150                   2127                   15

9999                 1900                    0

125                   1400                    0

Note that the value 9999 produces free temperature fall

This schedule was, mainly, based on Hesselberth's suggestions ("Glaze Firing to Cone 6"). However, I needed to play with the pick temperature because his 2185F produced Cone 7 instead of Cone 6 in my kiln.

For bisque I use the built in Cone Fire programs on Medium Speed.

Here is my schedule to fire to Cone 5 1/2

Rate (F/hour)   Temperature(F)  Hold (min)

100                   220                     0

350                   2000                   0

150                   2127                   15

9999                 1900                    0

125                   1400                    0

Note that the value 9999 produces free temperature fall

This schedule was, mainly, based on Hesselberth's suggestions ("Glaze Firing to Cone 6"). However, I needed to play with the pick temperature because his 2185F produced Cone 7 instead of Cone 6 in my kiln.

For bisque I use the built in Cone Fire programs on Medium Speed.

Thanks. I'm about to fire bisque now. Is the medium with no slow cool okay for 1/2" tiles? Thank you. Linda

Worth a try. Most likely you'll be okay, but it will also depend on how large the tiles are. If they're big 16" wide tiles, then you should probably slow down the cooling. If they're small 6" tiles then you'll probably be fine. It will also depend on the clay body. Just need to try it.

Archived