Skutt - 3 Sections To One?

Is it possible, practical, to take off sections of my Skutt 1027 to fire smaller loads?

I am doing a lot of testing now and it is not easy (or cheap) to fill the whole kiln while I get

new glazes and glaze combos right.

Thanks,

Karen

When you start taking rings off, the kiln will have a harder time reaching temperature. With 3 rings they work together to deal with the heat loss from the lid and floor. With one or two rings they have to work harder and may not have enough power to deal with it. Two rings may work, but may not. Firing is pretty inexpensive, so don't feel too bad about firing it half empty.

Thanks for your common sense.

If anyone is interested, here is the answer from Skutt:

The kiln is designed to be used with all three sections together. If you want to
just load a very small load in the kiln, I would place the load in the center
section of the kiln and put empty shelves (with possibly extra shelf posts
laying on shelves to simulate having a larger load in the kiln) on the bottom
and top of kiln to keep the kiln firing more evenly.

If you wanted to physically make this a two section kiln, you would need to; put
different heating elements in the kiln, if it is an automated KilnMaster kiln it
would also need a different control box, and the building circuit breaker for
the kiln would need to be changed to a 50 amp breaker.

• 2 weeks later...

When you start taking rings off, the kiln will have a harder time reaching temperature. With 3 rings they work together to deal with the heat loss from the lid and floor. With one or two rings they have to work harder and may not have enough power to deal with it. Two rings may work, but may not. Firing is pretty inexpensive, so don't feel too bad about firing it half empty.

Just wanted to say Neil, that your comment has been freeing for me.  " Firing is pretty inexpensive, so don't feel too bad about firing it half empty."    Since I stopped worrying about it, I have successfully made and tested 3 new glazes which I am so excited about.  Because of others' suggestions, I am using cones in each firing which I date, and I have a book to record the firings and any nuances. Thanks.

Archived