Opinions: Best Way To Avoid/remove Glaze On The Foot Of Bowls/mugs?

Hello all:

I'm moving forward with my skills, and wondered if anyone had opinions on the best way to avoid glaze on the very bottoms of things. I've heard of using a resist, and also saw someone  brushing away the glaze with a wire brush. The latter seems difficult to do, especially since I hope to single fire.

Any tips on the best resists?

Thanks,

TA

If you plan to single fire, then using a resist will be your best option.  Alternately, you could just glaze carefully.  If you are brushing, use an appropriately sized brush for the detailed areas.  If you are dipping/ pouring, there are methods for doing so, that helps you control where the glaze goes.

If you do use wax, keep in mind that it will slow the rate that any coated, clay area dries.  

for production work, I use a foam pad and swirl the mug or bowl on the pad as the glaze is drying right after dipping. It wipes the fppt clean.

Marcia

Even on green pots? I would dip and avoid the bottom, and make sure to set my pots up for easy glazing, especially with a break line at the very least. Spray glazing if it's an option is also easy enough..

I guess it depends on how green? If they are damp, waxing may hold moisture from the clay. If the are leather hard and raw glazing the foam may still work. If leather hard, and waxing with hot wax, the wax may peel from the coolness of the damp clay. You will have to try it and see what works for you.

Archived