Photo
- - - - -

Opinions: Best Way To Avoid/remove Glaze On The Foot Of Bowls/mugs?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TortoiseAvenger

TortoiseAvenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:07 PM

Hello all:

I'm moving forward with my skills, and wondered if anyone had opinions on the best way to avoid glaze on the very bottoms of things. I've heard of using a resist, and also saw someone  brushing away the glaze with a wire brush. The latter seems difficult to do, especially since I hope to single fire.

Any tips on the best resists?

Thanks,

TA

#2 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

If you plan to single fire, then using a resist will be your best option.  Alternately, you could just glaze carefully.  If you are brushing, use an appropriately sized brush for the detailed areas.  If you are dipping/ pouring, there are methods for doing so, that helps you control where the glaze goes.

If you do use wax, keep in mind that it will slow the rate that any coated, clay area dries.  

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#3 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

for production work, I use a foam pad and swirl the mug or bowl on the pad as the glaze is drying right after dipping. It wipes the fppt clean.
Marcia

#4 Colby Charpentier

Colby Charpentier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

for production work, I use a foam pad and swirl the mug or bowl on the pad as the glaze is drying right after dipping. It wipes the fppt clean.
Marcia

Even on green pots? I would dip and avoid the bottom, and make sure to set my pots up for easy glazing, especially with a break line at the very least. Spray glazing if it's an option is also easy enough..

#5 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:02 AM

Waxing will give you a nice clean glaze line. It also saves glaze, makes it easier to clean the foot, and prevents staining of the clay by glazes that are high in iron. I prefer the wax available from Ceramic Supply since it washes out of brushes easily.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#6 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

I guess it depends on how green? If they are damp, waxing may hold moisture from the clay. If the are leather hard and raw glazing the foam may still work. If leather hard, and waxing with hot wax, the wax may peel from the coolness of the damp clay. You will have to try it and see what works for you.

#7 Stellaria

Stellaria

Maker of Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationPetoskey, MI

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

If I were working with greenware, I would be attempting to keep the glaze away from the foot at all costs. Probably dipping the piece and stopping short of the foot.
Let me see if I can find you a video...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users