Photo

Does Your Dominant Hand Dictate Form Or Are You Ambidextrous.

PC question of the week

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

Hey!

I was just watching Wolverine on Netflicks. They are in Japan . I notice he is eating from a rice bowl with chop sticks. He is left-handed.He has his chop-sticks in his left-hand.  I repeat! The Wolverine is left-handed. [the third movie or something.]

TJR.

Nice pots in the flick, too.

#42 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

Tom,

One of the worst "Biases" against the "Lefty World", that I encountered was the college lecture halls.  Many of the halls at my university had desktops that folded/ turned down and fit in the gaps between each seat.  That way, you didn't have to squeeze into the chair, when you sat down.  Most of these desktops were on the right side of the chair.  The only left handed desks, were on the left side of the aisle However, since they hung on the outside of the aisle, many of them were snagged by people and their bags as they walked by, breaking them off.  The maintenance department was in no hurry to fix them either.  Beyond that, some no-left handed students would sit in these seats, so they could leave the room quicker and easier.

In either case, lefty folk were left to use the right handed desks, twisting awkwardly to the right, to use the tiny, tiny desk surface.

I've seen the roller cutters Tom.  They have them in the supply catalogs I use.  They just tend to be more pricey.  I bought one for my darkroom a couple years ago.  Originally, I had a small standard cutter in there, with a dull blade, and a broken spring.  So the arm wouldn't stay up.  So, when positioning the paper, the blade arm was rested on my shoulder...Very safe right!  This new one, has a sharp blade, and a secondary arm, with a flat rubber surface, that holds the paper, so it doesn't shift when cutting.  Because of this, you don't have to have your hand anywhere near the blade.  It's much safe, especially as I am cutting via dim safe light.

You know, when I am cutting paper on my large cutter, I try to turn the lights down low. I also have no safety and have to pull the arm to the left to cut a paper. What price fingers. Memo to self. get blade sharpened.

Tom.

#43 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

Hey!

I was just watching Wolverine on Netflicks. They are in Japan . I notice he is eating from a rice bowl with chop sticks. He is left-handed.He has his chop-sticks in his left-hand.  I repeat! The Wolverine is left-handed. [the third movie or something.]

TJR.

Nice pots in the flick, too.

I always look out for the wristwatch on the right wrist, it's a good tell-tale.  I don't know if the Wolverine has a wristwatch - just talking generally.

For the righties out there - a wristwatch on the left wrist not only gets in the way when writing, but is harder to put on and harder to wind with the wrong hand.

#44 Colby Charpentier

Colby Charpentier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

I always look out for the wristwatch on the right wrist, it's a good tell-tale.  I don't know if the Wolverine has a wristwatch - just talking generally.

For the righties out there - a wristwatch on the left wrist not only gets in the way when writing, but is harder to put on and harder to wind with the wrong hand.

As a right handed person who grew up with wristwatches on the right hand, I can say this method works, I had to switch over to my less dominant hand (left) after breaking too many watches...

#45 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

I forgot all about these desks!!!  I am left handed with writing and drawing but cutting and crochet is right handed.  My left hand is on the inside of the pot when throwing.  (is that normal? I never compared)  The worst thing ever invented for lefties is 3 ring binders.... No wonder I have to write with a twisted wrist, I have been conditioned to avoid spiral notebooks and large rings.  Not to mention the black hand from drawing... yikes! 

It's not just three-ring binders, but all spiral notebooks.  In the spiral sketchbooks I use, I'll actually turn the book upside down.  By doing so, I never have to rest my hand on the spiral.

In college, due to the whole "'Righty Culture' of writing right to left", I would write nearly above what I was writing.  I would have to twist my wrist a bit as well, to accomplish this.  I used liquid ink pens, so it was a must, or risk smearing everything I had just written.

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#46 Stellaria

Stellaria

Maker of Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationPetoskey, MI

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

As a righty, I still always wore my watch on my right hand. Not sure why. It just didn't seem right on the left. Never got in the way of anything, either. Weird.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users