Is This Wheel A Good Buy?

I'm looking for a wheel on the cheap. Turns out this is difficult! I found someone nearby getting rid of two. (See pics).

It seems the shimpo is missing its pan... Yes? The amaco looks good, but how do you lift off the metal pan for cleaning?

Would these wheels serve me well or should I wait?

If it matters, I plan on only doing mugs and bowls--nothing huge.

It's possible I could get one of the new table cheap table versions... I'm trying to keep it under $400. He's asking $350 for the two. I figure I can sell whichever I like least.

Thanks!

post-64045-0-41137500-1404494040_thumb.jpg

post-64045-0-92658900-1404494059_thumb.jpg

post-64045-0-77476600-1404494074_thumb.jpg

post-64045-0-77489100-1404494101_thumb.jpg

post-64045-0-41137500-1404494040_thumb.jpg

post-64045-0-92658900-1404494059_thumb.jpg

post-64045-0-77476600-1404494074_thumb.jpg

post-64045-0-77489100-1404494101_thumb.jpg

$350 for the two is a good deal. Usually I see people asking that for either of those.

If you could get just one cheaper, I'd go with the Shimpo. I have used both, and actually currently have both in my classroom. I like the Amacos for my class, because they are just two speed, not a lot to worry about. But that is also the downside. You can either go moderately fast, or a bit slower than moderately fast. The motor is a direct drive motor, no belts to worry about, and they hardly require any maintenance. Also, the splash pan does not come off. It has a hole on the bottom left,with a bracket below, to hold a slop bin. The water and slurry from throwing go there. You can buy a metal one from Amaco, for way too much money, or you can reuse an old, large, plastic butter container.

I like the Shimpo, because it is variable speed, and they are workhorses. You see a lot that come up for sale, because they just keep going. They have a motor mounted on a bracket inside, that is moved forward, when you press the foot pedal/ lever. On the motor, there is spinning cone. The further forward the motor is, the more of the cone touches the wheel drive, and the faster the wheel goes. If that stuff is in good shape, you are looking at a good wheel. A splash pan is not hard to come by, you could probably make your own, or as others may suggest, throw without one. The latter option is tough for a beginner, as throwing dry takes practice. I've been throwing for over a decade, and while I throw drier than I used to, I still use. good deal of water.

So if you want to and can get both for that price, I'd say go for it. But if you could just snag one for half the price, go with the Shimpo, as long as the motor and such are in good shape. The Amaco's two speeds will be constraining as you get more practiced, and need variable speeds.

I paid $600 for my used Shimpo! Looks like you found a deal. And buying a 2-part replacement splash pan for it should be easy enough to do.

For cleaning out a non-removable splash pan, you just use a sponge to mop out the water, scoop out the sludge with your hand, then sponge it down thoroughly. Our community studio has a Shimpo with a non-removable pan, and that's how we have to care for it.

Archived