Ceramics In Cape Town, South Africa, November 11-22,2014

Discover the world of South African ceramics, one of the most dynamic and diverse on the pottery planet. Take part in a learning journey around Cape Town that dovetails with an explosion of collaborative events hosted by Ceramics Southern Africa’s (CSA) activities in the month of November and endorsed by the 2014 World Design Capital.

Join Magdalene Odundo OBE as award-judge at CSA’s National Exhibition, the highlight of South Africa’s ceramic calendar which showcases high-end, home-grown creativity – and as guest speaker at From African Earth, a collaboration exhibition between CSA and Iziko Museums of South Africa.

Kenyan-born, Professor of Ceramics at the University for the Creative Arts, Farnham, Surrey, UK, Magdalene will share her sources of inspiration while demonstrating her approach to hand-building techniques in a full day’s workshop.

Master classes, learn ceramic history in South Africa, visit the wine country, dine with the ceramic masters.activities included for non potters.

Capeinsights.com

Sounds great! I have met several S. African potters on the Potters Council tours in Tuscany. I hope they plan to participate. Magdalene Odundo is a legend in her own time. How great to hear her.

Thanks for sharing the news of the event. Please post pictures of the demos.

Marcia

Aloha, just heard that Magdalene Odundo will be accompanying the members of this small group tour to other venues on the itinerary so it will be a fabulous opportunity to spend time with her outside of her whole day workshop. What an opportunity! Don't miss this trip. There is still space.

Contact Marion Ellis at Capeinsights.com

• 7 months later...

November Ceramics in CapeTown was an amazing trip and a fantastic opportunity to meet the best of the best of South African Potters. Cape Insights and Marion Ellis knows just about everybody in the the Western Cape working in Culture and Art. We were taken to Artist's homes and studios like Andile Dyalvane at Imizo, and David Walters in Franschhoek,did hands on work, were honored guests at openings, given tours of museum shows by their curators, danced at parties and ate like royalty. We visited studios where ceramics is a tool for social regeneration and fair trade practice like Toni Burton's Zizamele. We learned about Cape Craft & Design Institute (CCDI) which was set up in 2001 to promote and grow craft as an economic sector in the Western Cape province of South Africa. A not-for-profit company, the CCDI is a joint initiative of the Provincial Government of the Western Cape and the Cape Peninsula University of Technology. The CCDI has also been adopted by the Department of Trade and Industry (the dti) as a model craft hub, to serve as a template for the establishment of similar craft institutes in other provinces of South Africa. 

Cape Town is spectacularly beautiful and we were even privileged to accompany Magdalene Odundo to Robben Island for a private tour of Hennie Meyer's ceramic installation with a film crew, and were privy to stories of Nelson Mandela by his guard and subsequent friend.  I thought Magdalene's all day workshop would be the highlight of the trip, but the entire experience was the highlight of my travel experience. 

November is to be Ceramic Month from here on going forward. Come and experience this for yourselves. My husband is not a potter and he chose to be a participant and had a fantastic time. Google the people I mentioned, especially Marion Ellis at Cape Insights, and encourage the Potter's council to add Cape Town's "November Ceramics in CapeTown" to their sponsored tours. Or, just treat yourselves to an unforgettable experience and come on your own.

post-1977-0-63244500-1424131217_thumb.png

post-1977-0-30014200-1424131400_thumb.jpg

post-1977-0-13271500-1424131468_thumb.jpg

post-1977-0-98517100-1424131601_thumb.jpg

post-1977-0-30069800-1424131632_thumb.jpg

post-1977-0-63244500-1424131217_thumb.png

post-1977-0-30014200-1424131400_thumb.jpg

post-1977-0-13271500-1424131468_thumb.jpg

post-1977-0-98517100-1424131601_thumb.jpg

post-1977-0-30069800-1424131632_thumb.jpg

Archived