• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,979 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:43 AM

I thought since Voulkos tends to get responses from folks, I would share some pics from the Carlo Zauli Museum and surrounding city of Faenza. Zauli's life was a similar timeline and experience with WWII. he was from Faenza and began as a potter. His work changed with a "happy accident of a severely cracked piece and it changed his direction. His studio is as he left it when he died. The building has been turned into a museum. In the 1990s he had a touring exhibition throughout Japan in four cities.Comparing his abstract expressionism to Voulkos', I find his work to be more sensual and flowing. He used one glaze which accented the ridges and the form with a sugary breaking surface.

Attached Files

#2 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

I had not known of Carlo Zauli until you posted this. I find his work as you said "sensual" and in direct contrast to that of Voulkos which I consider "brutal". I will certainly keep the museum on my list of to do's if I ever get back to Faenza. Thanks for posting!

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#3 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

agree, but I wish the pictures would go bigger when clicked.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#4 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,979 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

Faenza ia a great place to visit for people interested in ceramics both contemporary and historical. Many ceramicists have lived here and many still do.
There is a Ceramics Olympics in Sept.where there are prizes for throwing.

there are many Zauli links. Here is a good one.

https://www.flickr.c...57633509640144/

Marcia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users