Enclosed Kiln But Cold And Snow Surround

Hi.. I live in New Hampshire and we get deep snow for long periods of time, and temps sometimes under zero. I am getting ready to purchase an electric kiln (probably about 7 cu ft, firing to cone 10). I plan to put it outside on a covered deck and have a roofed, rain-proof  enclosure built (Hardibacker inside) to fit just about 3 feet out from all around the kiln and maybe 7' high. It will only serve to hold the kiln. I plan to use a portable heater in the kiln room and vent via a kit, and will have no time pressure re: production or unloading.  In terms of firing the kiln in this environment, or it being in an unheated space when it is dormant, is there anything significant I need to know about? Thanks in advance for any input.  

If I'm not mistaken skutt manual say ambient tem must be 40f. So a space heater may be needed until kiln warms up room. Or pre warm control box and thermocouple with hair dryer.

You can down load skutt manual, or call a factory rep, Some participate here.

The controllers generally do fine at 20F or even lower, as long as it's above zero. But with the portable heater you won't have any issues. As for it sitting in that cold environment, no worries. As long as it stays dry and critters can't get into it you'll be fine. If you have any questions about L&L kilns, or specific questions about maintenance of different brands, shoot me an email.

I often load a kiln over a period of a week or two just to ge something unfinished pieces out of the way. When you say you have no time constraints, you may do the same. I imagine you know this, but just in case you do not, don't let your greenware freeze, or it will likely crack.

I live in NH too!  I bought an L&L from Neil and love it.  I have a large covered concrete pad off a building but after much consideration decided to put my kiln inside.  Depending on the snowfall in any given year, the roof can shed upwards of 3 to 6 feet of snow around my pad.  It doesn't happen often but in the occasional year, I get standing melt off on the pad.  If you too have this situation you will need to raise your kiln up a bit, I would think and if it is electric, well…  Beyond that, I chose to put it inside because I *hate* being cold and wouldn't want to lug my stuff out into the cold to load and unload my kiln.  Everything just seems more fragile (myself included) when cold.  However, this morning it is looking to be a warm day and I wish I could move the kiln outside for the summer :)  It seems that nothing is ever perfect.  I think I would like a teeny tiny wood kiln in the backyard, next to my putting green and swimming pool.

After spending the coldest winter of my life in New Hampshire in 1969 I could suggest moving to a more hospitable winter climate

But I know there are folks who love the snow the heat and the bugs and will never give it up.

I know the state motto is live uncomfortable or die.

My second suggestion is get a real cone 10 rated kiln like an L&L and make sure you have enough amps to power it.

Mark

I re-read my post of yesterday and it reminded me of a local potter who built his kiln on tracks.  It was a fairly large gas kiln and he could roll it in and out of the house.  Neat set up for us folks that live here in New Hampstah.  He moved to Australia, I believe :)  

After spending the coldest winter of my life in New Hampshire in 1969 I could suggest moving to a more hospitable winter climate

But I know there are folks who love the snow the heat and the bugs and will never give it up.

I know the state motto is live uncomfortable or die.

My second suggestion is get a real cone 10 rated kiln like an L&L and make sure you have enough amps to power it.

Mark

If I remember correctly (I was very very young in 69) it was a particularly snowy winter.  Try us again sometime.  I would suggest August, September, and October.

If I remember correctly (I was very very young in 69) it was a particularly snowy winter.  Try us again sometime.  I would suggest August, September, and October.

I have a friend, who lives in Maine.  It sounds like it's pretty much the same story there.

Archived