Selling To A Restaurant Vs. Selling Retail

I have been approached to create a new tiki-style Volcano Bowl for a local tiki bar/restaurant.  I have been pricing my mugs appropriately for art shows and festivals, but I don't know what the difference would be for pricing something for a restaurant client.  They only want 20 per year, maybe more for other locations.  The bowl would be 64oz.

Do I sell to them as I would for the art show (retail) or do I sell to them differently at a reduced rate?

Mahalo,

Alex

Sticking strickly to the price part of your question

That is a wholesale sale so the price would not be retail-consider for a starting point knocking about 1/3 off your retail price point.

You still have to have some profit factored in as well.

Mark

I have been very conscientious of non-toxic materials. I use only dinnerware safe products.   Although, I would love some more education on health guidelines for ceramic drinkware for restaurants if you know where to look.

1/3 the price seems like a good idea.  that would allow me to keep some money and allow them to resell the items if they choose.

Guest JBaymore

I use only dinnerware safe products.

If by that you mean that you are using commercially prepared glazes and are assuming that they are "safe" becasue the descriptions say so......... you might be in trouble.

Look at the FAQ thread in the "Technical" section about "Is this food safe". There is a LOT to this subject that most potters don't realize.

You local state health board would be the place to check local food industry inspection standards.

http://www.astm.org/COMMITTEE/C28.htm

best,

..............john

Archived