Photo

What Is The Most Dangerous Thing In Your Studio?

PC question of the week

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

I believe if you ran hard enough from one end of the studio to the other and landed on it, you could gut yourself.I have a bucket on the shaft. Don't worry, I'll finish it. I think it is missing a few pieces.

Don't say that I am missing a few pieces. We already know that.

Tom.

Try not to think of this too much! Is the bucket to keep the blood off the floor in case you slide after the impaling Sorry about the pun? Might need to be a brit to get that one..

Too funny TJR :D  :D  :D

Shouldn't the word be impailing?

TJR.

Only with Canadian spelling!

Babs;

You and I both know that Australian spelling and Canadian spelling are the same.

T.

#22 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:55 PM

Beside myself

Dust

gas kilns(outside )

pug mill (outside studio)

electric kilns(outside)

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#23 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

I fall in the 98% category as I am the most dangerous tool in my studio, not only to myself, but to others. Thank goodness I am usually alone. Some days I am stumbling around with vertigo, other days with dizziness from the Niaspin I take. Soft hands from being in water a lot get cut easily, shins get bruised and it seems like my genetic make up makes me a bleeder with thin fragile skin. There are weeks where I am constantly scarred up. But you know, I love the clay, so it is what it is. Sometimes we have a price to pay. Good thing about genetics though, my Dad similar to I in almost every way(except for politics) just drove his 33' motor home pulling a car back from Florida last month. He is 87 and still going strong. I tell him you lead and I'll follow. (I hope) :rolleyes:

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#24 CarlCravens

CarlCravens

Long-time Dabbler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

Of the things I use for pottery... probably the flexible stainless steel rib of death.  It's the only pottery tool I've cut myself on.  I hates it, but even the red Mudtools ribs don't quite do the same job.

That can't really do a lot of damage, though.  The bench grinder (used to shape and sharpen trim tools) could put an eye out if a grinding wheel shattered.   (Stand to the side during startup, wear a face shield.)

If we include everything in the shop, my table saw is probably the most dangerous in terms of serious injury.

I don't think I'm all that dangerous.  I used to work professionally in machine and tooling shops, and I have a lot of respect for stuff that can hurt me, both short term and long term.  I have safety rituals for using power equipment, I always unplug power equipment immediately when I'm done with it.  I wear safety glasses, face shields, know when not to wear gloves, etc.  I make a living with my hands and eyes, and I put a great deal of value on them, and I practically treat tools like they're out to get me.  (The worst injury I sustained in a machine shop was from the pop machine, which had lost it's catch basket years before... everyone knew you had to catch the glass bottle on the way out.  And I did.  And my reflexes tried to catch the second bottle that unexpectedly followed it... I reached it just as it hit the concrete.)

Carl (Wichita, KS)

#25 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

Most dangerous things: The particulate mask that doesn't get worn everytime I spray...and the room exhaust fan that doesn't always get turned on when the booth is running.  Also, my feet are absolute magnets for pointy things like needle tools and xacto blades.

-Paul

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

#26 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:27 PM

The shelves in my studio threaten to collapse most days. A plaster mould or rogue pot could be dangerous.

#27 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

Carl I worked in an aircraft factory for a few years running stretch presses, metal shears, routers, deburrers and the whole slew of smaller machines from cutoffs to drill presses. I learned early to take care around them, but in close quarters my wobbly knees get in the way, or something will nick me that wouldn't even break the skin on most and I look like I'm going to bleed out! Safety equipment-always, at least now, over the years I guess I used to many noisy tools and messed up my hearing.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#28 Mudslinger Ceramics

Mudslinger Ceramics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

The foot pedal on my kick wheel..............no matter how often I take note of it, move the wheel around the studio, paint the pedal yellow, change the wheel's orientation, 'remember' for next time, etc......I still manage to wack my shins on a regular basis!    I love this wheel but I speak badly to it often!

Irene

Mudslinger Ceramics :   www.mudslingerceramics.net

'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to.

It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.'

- Robert Henri

#29 franaldea

franaldea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSantiago, Chile

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

I think my biggest danger, beside myself, is the dust that comes out meanwhile i am polishing. (sorry if my english is too poor, i am from stgo-chile)

#30 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

I think my biggest danger, beside myself, is the dust that comes out meanwhile i am polishing. (sorry if my english is too poor, i am from stgo-chile)

Franaldea;

You need to wear a dust mask. Even those cheap disposable ones...please do this for your lungs and your family.

TJR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users