The first sentence seems to sum it up.

#62 TwinRocks

TwinRocks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

I hadn't read all the replies, but the article was about what is trending, not what is aesthetically pleasing. Not all art is designed to please the eye. I am some what surprised by some of the close minded responses. I do agree that an artist should build a solid set of base skills prior to creating more abstract work, however for a lot of people art is about the journey and not the destination.

Without reading into the background of the artists and their body of work, I choose to reserve myself from passing harsh judgements. Ugliness can be quite narrative, and without further examination I think it's unfair to say something isn't artistic.

With that all said, many of these don't align with my personal tastes and style, but there where a few bright points. What is trending, what inspires us, what functions, what sells well and what we personally enjoy making are almost entirely unrelated perspectives: each individual aspect does not specifically relate, if they did all relate that would be a formula and we all know formulaic artwork tends to be lack-luster and boring. Something designed to please isn't always pleasing, nor is ugliness always a fault.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users