#61 CarlCravens

CarlCravens

Long-time Dabbler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:25 PM

Helpers are not really necessary. I do shows by myself without a helper. You manned this recent show by yourself most if the time, right? There is always a friendly artist next door who will keep an eye in your booth when you need a bathroom break.

My favorite local show (as a attender so far) has staff to watch your booth during breaks. I don't know how common that is.
Carl (Wichita, KS)

#62 Diesel Clay

Diesel Clay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:53 PM

Carl, I didn't even know that was a thing until I found mention of it in the threads here.

Helpers are not really necessary. I do shows by myself without a helper. You manned this recent show by yourself most if the time, right? There is always a friendly artist next door who will keep an eye in your booth when you need a bathroom break.

My favorite local show (as a attender so far) has staff to watch your booth during breaks. I don't know how common that is.

Www.dieselclay.weebly.com

#63 BeckyH

BeckyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:01 PM

I got my start by helping friends who needed another warm body at events. Some events are so big that having two people to make sales, wrap, chat up passersby, etc. is a necessity.
Having someone you trust to watch the cash box while you go pee is very nice. And if it happens to be slow you have someone to chat with.

#64 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:53 PM

Okay, I'll preface what I'm saying by stating that I've never done this and likely never would but....

I was doing an outdoors market a few years ago and the women beside us had been told by the organizer she would need help during the market since it was so busy. She was a lady from out of town with nobody local to help her and didn't want to pay for a hotel etc to bring a friend with her. So each day she had hired someone, from Craigslist, to come and help her then at the end of the day she paid them with her hand dyed yarn. She does the same thing at the bigger winter markets and has been doing this for years. Maybe if you feel you really need help during a market then a spin off idea of asking a local guild or art center if they could recommend an eager local potter, who doesn't sell their work, is interested in helping out in trade for pots might be a better option than sharing a booth. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users