Kiln Disclosure

The way I see it, insurance is a distant last resort. There are many things you can do to keep yourself safe that are well within your control. Like getting a real electrician to install a proper circuit. Giving your kiln enough space and away from anything that can burn. Paying attention to the age and condition of your kiln's parts. If you've got these things handled, don't waste your energy on worry.

I have all this stuff well under control. I had a 30 year career electrician I know and trust install it. He brought the exact specs that the kiln called for and made sure everything was done right. My kiln is past the requirements from the wall. I have nothing flammable near it. I check my plug every few months and I have a nest alarm directly above the kiln that is tied into my phone in case something starts smoking. I have a fire extinguisher in the garage too. I can't be any more safe.

I wasn't really concerned about fire from the kiln, more about something random happening weather related and then having the "horror stories you hear on the internet about claim denial" happening.

I guess I will call him Monday and not worry about it anymore. Makes me feel better knowing other people had the same issue. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use State Farm and bought a separate business policy (~$400 annually) to cover kiln and studio at home and liability for shows.  Yes, it is $400, but it is also tax deductible.  Net zero. 

This is interesting. Was it mostly for the liability or for the home protection of your studio? 

I had State Farm but changed when they upped my premiums to almost double in 5 years with no claims. I asked Norton my new insurance agent and they said no problem, didn't list it either. I got to worrying about if someone were to burn themselves with a mug, or I get in an accident on way to Festival, someone's tent blows into mine at a festival and wipes out my display, something does happen to the house but my studio isn't covered as it's business, and I really wanted to start giving private lessons. All of that made me decide to get a policy from a company I found here on Ceramic Arts Daily. It covers me for all of that plus my equipment, cost me $400 a year but it's real value is in peace of mind. I've already more than covered the cash out for it with the few students I have already taken on.

You have to decide what level of coverage and risk allows you to sleep at night.

T

Thanks everyone for all your help and answering my questions. I don't do shows or have any plans to at this time. So I think I will just be ok with this home owners insurance not having a kiln listed on it. I think I might add business insurance when I start selling again in the future for low price per year. 

Have a great weekend all.

I use State Farm and bought a separate business policy (~$400 annually) to cover kiln and studio at home and liability for shows.  Yes, it is $400, but it is also tax deductible.  Net zero. 

This is interesting. Was it mostly for the liability or for the home protection of your studio? 

Mostly liability . . . some shows require proof of liability insurance, generally up to $1 or $2M. 

Mostly liability . . . some shows require proof of liability insurance, generally up to $1 or $2M. 

Thanks for clarification. 

We have a business insurance policy for general liability and other business losses (e.g. lost product if in an accident on the way to a show, etc....), but that also covers our detached garage where the studio and electric kiln are located.

One thing our independent agent did was to set us up with our business policy, homeowner's policy, auto policy, and umbrella policy all from the same company, so that there would never be a question as to which company was responsible should there ever be a claim. (fwiw, the company is Maine Mutual Group, which does offer coverage in NH and some other states as well as ME).

Archived