• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 3,059 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

What are some of the causes of this? Not enough amps for the 220?

Lots of possible causes in my experience:

People who think a kiln and a home clothes dryer are the same and just plug in to an existing X amp circuit.

Electricians that think they know better than the kiln manufacturer or the kiln installation folks and say they can save the homeowner some money by doing it THIER way.

Poeple who wire it themselves and know just enough to be dangerous.

Corrosion in connections becasue of improper installation or improper routine maintenence.  Corrosion increases resistance to eletrical flow.... resistance to flow equals heat being generated... heat being generated where is it is not expected equals disaster.

Installing a new kiln supply in a REALLY old panel , and not having the whole panel checked out at the same time. (The new circuit is fine.... the old main supply connection is the issue.  See corrosion.....and cobwebs.)

That's the basic list.  Neil....... your input?

best,

......................john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#42 CPT

CPT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

So glad I came across this discussion thread:

We have been renting for the last 4 years, and my manual electric kiln ( for my business) has gone with me everywhere.  I even had an electrician come over and create a outlet for at as well, no problem.

We have recently bought a home and found out that our homeowners insurance DOES not cover the kiln at all!  We have called 2 other insurace companies and they said no, too.  If I do ceramics as a hobby, they said it would be ok.  But if it's for business purposes, no.  Maybe we can call State Farm???

#43 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:32 PM

What are some of the causes of this? Not enough amps for the 220?

Lots of possible causes in my experience:

People who think a kiln and a home clothes dryer are the same and just plug in to an existing X amp circuit.

Electricians that think they know better than the kiln manufacturer or the kiln installation folks and say they can save the homeowner some money by doing it THIER way.

Poeple who wire it themselves and know just enough to be dangerous.

Corrosion in connections becasue of improper installation or improper routine maintenence.  Corrosion increases resistance to eletrical flow.... resistance to flow equals heat being generated... heat being generated where is it is not expected equals disaster.

Installing a new kiln supply in a REALLY old panel , and not having the whole panel checked out at the same time. (The new circuit is fine.... the old main supply connection is the issue.  See corrosion.....and cobwebs.)

That's the basic list.  Neil....... your input?

best,

......................john

Yes, it could be any one of those things. People don't always understand the amperage draw issue, so I've seen people replace the plug on the kiln to match whatever 240V outlet they have in the house and plug it in. In theory it should flip the breaker, but it's possible for it to heat up quite a bit before flipping. Old, corroded connections in the panel can arc and melt things out, too. I've seen several melted breakers. In general, the big issue is that the circuit should be inspected from the start by a certified electrician, and reinspected and cleaned up every few years, especially in humid environments. The power cord-outlet connection is often a point of corrosion since people plug them in and leave them in for years at a time.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#44 Rockhopper

Rockhopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Ohio

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:30 PM

...  If I do ceramics as a hobby, they said it would be ok.  But if it's for business purposes, no.  ....

I suspect you'll find that to be the case with most aspects of a typical homeowners policy... "Home (personal) use" is covered - "Business use" is not.

If you regularly have customers visiting your home to purchase your work - you may also find that a standard homeowners' liability coverage won't pay if one of those customers falls or is otherwise injured...   I don't know that for certain - it probably varies with companies & policies - but I do know that I used to have some car insurance that specifically stated if I was being paid to transport someone/something, I was not covered unless I the vehicle was listed as 'business use'.

#45 firenflux

firenflux

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:21 AM

Must go vacuum my dryer now...

I have State Farm for homeowners too.  I have tried to switch to other companies because I feel I could get a lower rate but I haven't been able to find one that will cover my 2 pitbulls other than State Farm.  I didn't even get a chance to go into the kiln issue.  Apparently I am a double threat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users