What Is It You Are Really After In Your Work?

I am after the journey, not the destination.

I make glaze tests all the time. I draw. I try out different forms. I hand build. I look at other potter's work. I hope to never be finished my search.

TJR.

The ability to support myself through my art working on my own terms. Creating a piece then sending it out into the world to live its own life is very satisfying. I like knowing I have paintings hanging in homes all over the world one day I hope to say the same thing about my pottery.

ANNNNDDDD I never want to have to ask, "do you want fries with that?"

Terry

ANNNNDDDD I never want to have to ask, "do you want fries with that?"

Terry

Given the recent actions in some cities to raise the minimum wage to $10 to $15/hour, pitchin' fries with that might earn you more per hour than throwing or hand-building.

As for me, I'm with John . . . fame, fortune, fast cars, groupies, etc. Not.

When working- I want to feel completely connected to the clay and process, the minute my energy disconnects is when things start to go wonky and don't look the way I want them to.

After working- I want to be able to see that I make beautiful things. I want my pieces to say something or pass on a feeling that hasn't been seen or felt that way before.  Something that most people can identify with, but maybe never saw anybody point it out.  I want my functional ware to give people a deep feeling of humanness, and the act of consuming to be fully experienced.  I want my sculptural work to give someone a moment of feeling the emotion that is being portrayed.  

Eventually- It would certainly be nice to be identified undoubtedly as an artist who makes significant work. Someday… perhaps after I am dead…. 

A deeper connection with self is the answer I write because there is a deeper level of thought occurring when working with clay, thought without  the chatter of words, maybe this is nonsense!

Clay very much plonks you into the now with no need to think about the past or the future.

I love the way it allows you to capture that moment with the help of fire.

Archived