23 replies to this topic

#21 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:50 AM

Also I have discovered little flaws in the pot whilst wiping, Very fine cracks become very evident when wiped by damp sponge, or small rough patches which would favour a grind. This close inspection I may miss if I didn't wipe.

#22 Dharsi

Dharsi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:27 AM

I get that studio potters may not feel they have time to wipe down each piece of work, but you can bet I carefully inspect each piece I buy of someone else's work so if I am going to go to the time and effort of making something I want it to look its best.  i may try rinsing in a bucket next time, but then I would be on here bitching about having to wait for them to dry some before glazing.  

#23 Karen B

Karen B

Potter 1981-present

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:19 AM

I have rarely ever washed or dusted pots-I try to process them in sort order but if they sit few weeks no big deal. I have no idea why you would wash all of them. Isnt it easier to cover them in 1st place from dust?

Mark

Hi Mark,

I wipe pots as I take them out of the bisque firing and squeeze sponge into a bucket of clean water. I get small particles in the water. It is not dust from the studio, I don't usually get this with porcelain, just stoneware.

Karen

#24 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 2nd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

I too dip mine in water. I tend to do this the last thing the day before I am going to glaze. I finish up the day dipping and setting all the pieces out separated by the types of glaze each will get. By morning everything is ready to wax and by the time I am done with that the first pieces waxed are then ready to glaze. When I dip in water I pull each piece out and check for any spots/lines darker than the rest, this tell me there is a crack there absorbing more water than the surrounding area.

On a slightly different note I have discovered that for me make-up sponges work most excellently for applying wax much easier with a nicer line than a brush. They are nice and dense with sharp edges and are even easy to cut into smaller pieces if needed.

I am getting my process tweaked nicely and things are getting much quicker.

Terry
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users