Photo

Anyone Else Interested Or Know Anything About Firing Leopard Spot Shinos?

Leopard Spot Shinos Firing shinos

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:10 AM

I was introduced to Malcom Davis Shino just this last semester and witnessed the results that people are describing here with the wax resist.  I noted that someone mentioned a fast-paced: glaze, apply resist and then immediately-into-the-kiln. process  We did some experimenting, comparing pots with Malcolm Davis Shino where some (after applying the glaze and the wax resist) were allowed to dry for a couple of weeks, in contrast with other pots that went directly into the kiln right after the glaze/wax treatment.  Side-by-side in the kiln, there were more dramatic effects on the pots that were allowed to air dry over a longer period.

Is it possible that the longer drying period allow the soda to migrate and concentrate more around the wax?

By the by, I have never been a great shino fan...until now,

-Paul

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

#22 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

Is it possible that the longer drying period allow the soda to migrate and concentrate more around the wax?
-Paul

Yes, a longer drying period will see more soda migrate to the surface, perhaps even forming crystal-ladders on the outside.

I believe Malcom tried a variety of approaches to drying and getting soda to the surface: in closed boxes, packed with various items to create resists on the surface or draw out the soda, wax resist, etc.

I've seen potters ladle the soda solution from the top of the glaze bucket and soak their pot in that solution before returning it to the glaze and mixing the glaze for dipping.

It would help the discussion if we knew the glaze recipe used; also, the firing schedule: "There were some special firing techinques, discovered by Paul Geil that we followed." Just what were those "special techniques"? And, then, you get to try replicating those techniques in your own kiln.

#23 Plover

Plover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

I appreciate the interest that my inquiry has stimulated.  And all of the feedback for experimentation.  Sorry I don't have the recipe for the glaze, it was not give to us,  but I know it is a shino glaze with extra soda.   And the information needed to experiment with our own shinos was clear, that it is the soda in the glaze applied correctly by spraying and fired in the right environment that creates the spots.  I can you tell this, We didn't wait for drying.  The pots were put directly into the kiln asap. And at around 350 degree we could see the spots forming on the pots when we opened the kiln door.  The only thing out of the ordinary firing schedule would be involving the manipulation of the soda at it's melting point, depending on the soda you use in your glaze, will determine the melting temp.  Carbon was added to help trap the soda on the surface of the glaze. The most impressive thing was the Geil Kiln fired incredibly even top to bottom and back to front so we got spots throughout the kiln. 

#24 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

My day job pays for my clay habit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg area, PA

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

Coyote Clay & Color makes a ^6 Leopard Shino that gets black spots when layered over a black gloss. Results are...unpredictable, though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Leopard Spot Shinos, Firing shinos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users