Super Amateur Needs Help With Porosity

Is it porosity you want, or something more along the lines of osmosis, keeping the soil at a constant moisture level?  I feel like beyond a certain porosity, you'll have more water come out than is desirable.  Simple, plain terracotta may be the way to go.

I'm eager to see the results of your experimentation.  If it isn't too proprietary, that is.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try and bring no assumptions to forum posts. There is no right way to think, just opinions.

In a business meeting you may expect some agreement in artistic value and design to be preordained because of your similar societies and educations but here we are from all over the world. Start with a smile and be patient, you never know where it might lead.

Okay, geremyh, this is what you're going to do.  You're going to make 50 or so prototypes to test your product.  10 to be bisqued to a low cone.  Say, cone 010.  Then 10 bisqued to cone 06-04.  Then 10 bisqued to cone 02.  You're then going to make 10 with paper pulp in the clay, 10 with perlite.

For each 10 prototypes, you're going to test 3 in loam soil, 3 in sand, and 3 in heavy clay.  Hook each prototype up to a plastic hose or pipe similar to your design and hook up that hose/pipe to container with measurement marks on it.  Test the flow that way, with an average of the three of each type being your significant number.  The final one of each will be for destruction testing for durability.

After this, repeat the experiment with your decorative glaze added.  Maybe only the worthwhile ones to save money/time.  The cone 010 will likely have to be excluded--you're going to have a tough time finding a cone 010 glaze.

I think as a courtesy to us, as we have freely offered up information to you, you should publish the results of your experiment here.  No design details, just the results of your experiment which betrays nothing proprietary.

Then, I think you should apologize for misrepresenting yourself.  In your initial post, you said you were a "super amateur" looking for help with "gifts."  On your last posts, this is a business venture.  If you're a business owner/CEO, dishonestly asking for free R&D isn't cool.  If the reverse is true, and you're just an amateur, lying about your professional status to save face isn't cool either.  I apologize for being a little stern, we're an honest group filled with goodwill here, dishonesty would kill the convivial spirit.  I like the people here a lot.

The upside down wine bottles, definitely isn't my taste. I've seen the aftermath of various parties, where planters end up being the resting place, for many a cigarette butt and upside down beer bottle jammed neck first into the soil. The wine bottle system, reminds me of that. If a person was going to have some type of vessel feeding the one below, that's something I'd want decorative and glazed, as opposed to a used wine bottle. To me, the bottle is just better off going back to the recycling plant, as opposed to be repurposed.

Then, I think you should apologize for misrepresenting yourself.  In your initial post, you said you were a "super amateur" looking for help with "gifts."  On your last posts, this is a business venture.  If you're a business owner/CEO, dishonestly asking for free R&D isn't cool.  If the reverse is true, and you're just an amateur, lying about your professional status to save face isn't cool either.  I apologize for being a little stern, we're an honest group filled with goodwill here, dishonesty would kill the convivial spirit.  I like the people here a lot.

Well said.

The upside down wine bottles, definitely isn't my taste. I've seen the aftermath of various parties, where planters end up being the resting place, for many a cigarette butt and upside down beer bottle jammed neck first into the soil. The wine bottle system, reminds me of that. If a person was going to have some type of vessel feeding the one below, that's something I'd want decorative and glazed, as opposed to a used wine bottle. To me, the bottle is just better off going back to the recycling plant, as opposed to be repurposed.

Hey- stay on topic- parties have not been mentioned yet! LOL!!!! 

Perhaps loooking at this, you guys are so touchy these days :rolleyes: , from the soil in to which these pots are placed, how about improving the water holding property of the soil by adding clay you are too busy to recycle, bentonite, left overs from the raku reducing bins, or a host of other stuff you have in your clay studio, non toxic of course. Then perhaps this would reduce the need for different porosity.

Wine Bottle, I used to use flagons with the bottoms cut off by lighting a string which had been dipped in meths, tied tightly around the flagon and then dipped inot a bucket of water. These, if green glass could be used also for mini cloches over seedlings.

Have I gone off topic? :)

Perhaps loooking at this, you guys are so touchy these days :rolleyes: , from the soil in to which these pots are placed, how about improving the water holding property of the soil by adding clay you are too busy to recycle, bentonite, left overs from the raku reducing bins, or a host of other stuff you have in your clay studio, non toxic of course. Then perhaps this would reduce the need for different porosity.

Wine Bottle, I used to use flagons with the bottoms cut off by lighting a string which had been dipped in meths, tied tightly around the flagon and then dipped inot a bucket of water. These, if green glass could be used also for mini cloches over seedlings.

Babs you should sell this information to junkies, I always used to see them swirling rocks around the bottom of wine bottles to make smoking paraphernalia.

Babs you should sell this information to junkies, I always used to see them swirling rocks around the bottom of wine bottles to make smoking paraphernalia.

Nah, leave them swirling rocks, some things shouldn't be fast tracked!

Doubt if wine is marketed in flagons anymore, sigh!

So, here I am sitting in the dark, everyone else is asleep and I'm trying my hardest not to laugh out loud.  

Personally, I use leaky pipe to water the garden, much easier after it's laid out and buried to just turn on the tap.  (Piped or rain water, both work just as well.)

I hope they are clay pipes.

Those were smashed by the art teacher… remember? ;)

Probably, that guy is a ########!

The topic creator, seems to have disappeared.  Someone scared him off, not to point any fingers *cough* TYLER! *cough*......

Boating Tyler, I read bloating and thought you'd gone off topic again!

Bloating can put some people off ceramics as it seems to have more than one cause.. it's so darned hard this life! There should be more porosity, or is that transparency in today's world, now,  porcelain..

Heck it is just too hard to stay focussed.

Hope you guys noted the title by which I was addressesd above! To be expected at my age I guess.

Archived