Overfired Bisqueware, Any Way To Salvage?

Great so I bought cone 05 clay instead of cone 5 clay and of course realized this after I fired a few pieces to cone 5.  Is there any way I can salvage these couple of pieces? If I try to glaze them, at this point, what cone glaze do I fire to?  I've been told these are probably lost but I'm hoping you guys might have some creative alternatives...

Terra cotta clays can definitely go hotter than low fire white bodies. The grog in Standard's 104 pushes it higher than the non-grogged version (103). They actually test/recommend it at cone 4. I've used other terra cottas that max out at 2-3. Way too brittle beyond that.

One of the kilns at the studio i take classes at had a bisk load get overheated and fired to about 05 instead of the standard 1830 (06) they do. We glazed them but they took glaze poorly and im many cases did not set right on the pieces. (our clay is a stoneware usually fired to ox^6)

One of the kilns at the studio i take classes at had a bisk load get overheated and fired to about 05 instead of the standard 1830 (06) they do. We glazed them but they took glaze poorly and im many cases did not set right on the pieces. (our clay is a stoneware usually fired to ox^6)

Bisque firing to 05 instead of 06 should not make much of a difference at all. In most cases it wouldn't even be noticeable. I'm betting it went quite a bit hotter than 05 if it wouldn't take glaze well. Maybe they went to 5 instead of 05.

Bisque firing to 05 instead of 06 should not make much of a difference at all. In most cases it wouldn't even be noticeable. I'm betting it went quite a bit hotter than 05 if it wouldn't take glaze well. Maybe they went to 5 instead of 05.

This is what i thought.   Having not run a kiln yet i dont have enough experience to speak on the issue.  Its my understanding from reading that 06, 05, 04 are all decent bisque temps depending on your clay body.  

The staff seemed disappointed in the mis-fire, when i asked how hot it did get the answer i was told was "one or 2 cones above our normal bisque"......   Dip times in glazes had to be trippled or more and even then the glaze wanted to run off and took forever to dry.

After seeing the results of the glaze fire (ox6) we both agreed virtually all those pieces were basically only good for skeet targets.

Archived