Strong Bleach Odor In My Bag Of Laguna Clay

I bought a box of Laguna earthenware #10-VW clay, and since I brought it home a month or so ago there has been a very strong odor of bleach that nearly fills my studio from this one bag. I took the clay out of the original bag, dried the sides (the whole pug was slimy on the outside and really mushy on the inside). The odor remained, but since I double bagged them up again, it was somewhat constrained to that corner of the room.

I'm firing a small batch right now, some stamps and stuff, and the smell of bleach coming out of the kiln is quite overwhelming. I have all of the windows open down there and a fan cross ventilating out the window, but that smell is really strong, and I'm quite sure very unhealthy (as all kiln fumes are, I'm never in the basement when firing). It's just a tiny doll kiln but can still put out some mean fumes, especially with bisque firing. Nothing like this 'bleach' smell before though--I can nearly smell it upstairs. I find it quite disconcerting, and won't be using this clay again if this is a feature rather than a bug. At this point I'm just using it for models and stamps, anyways.

Has anyone else used this clay and noticed the same strong bleach odor, or in any clay for that matter? Is it normal practice for suppliers to drench a pug of clay in bleach before sending it off with customers?

Guest JBaymore

My guess is that the clay was very old.... and covered with mold. And someone decided that the way to not have the customer buying it complain or go "oooooohhhhhhhh yuck".... was to drench it in bleach.

Just a guess.... but it is the only thing that makes any sense. At least to me. But what the heck do I know.

I would have taken it back instantly. They killed off that good mold ;) .

best,

.......................john

Thanks for your replies. The canary in the coal mine (my cat) didn't croak overnight so I guess we'll all survive ;) I bought this in an unsealed box from a supplier, too far away to return, so I guess I'll be cutting my losses and just not going to that supplier again. I should have known better than to fire that stuff. And yeah, I love the smell of moldy clay, as Gollum would say "they ruinsed it! Nasty Hobbits!"

If someone did put bleach in, you are probably getting all manner of nasty chlorine compounds off when you fire, so, yes, ventilate as much as you can, more than usual if possible.

You could probably un-bag the clay, outside, cut it up into thin slabs and let it air out all the way to bone dry.

Then throw it in a bucket and add water back to reconstitute.

It's possible that in the airing, most of the chlorine will "evaporate" or dissociate from the clay. Though some might stay bound in the clay matrix.

Good luck

Lee

I would give them a call and let them know that what they did was very stupid, but in a constructive manner of course. Make sure they realize how irritating the fumes were, how dangerous those fumes are to inhale, and how irritating it can be to the skin. Putting bleach in it also negates the Non-Toxic label that came with the clay, and opens them up to lawsuits. It is illegal to sell something with a Non-Toxic Label that hasn't been tested as sold. Be sure to mention how lucky they are that there weren't any children in the studio at the time. Tell them you'll report them to Laguna if it ever happens again. Milk it! It really was a stupid and dangerous thing to do, and they need to know that. If you're firm enough, you might get some free clay out of it.

Plus, they need to learn a thing or two about clay- mold is good!

Link to chlorine bleach MSDS: http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/downloads/msds/bleach/cloroxregularbleach0809_.pdf

I'll call them this week and talk to the manager there, you're right that I shouldn't just let it go as more of that stuff could go off to schools or something. Thanks everyone for your advice, maybe it will be worth the drive after all.

Edit: Just wanted to mention here that I contacted Laguna and they were quick to respond. They are looking into the matter now. I didn't want to leave a bad impression here of Laguna or their clay. I've used other clay bodies of theirs before and they were fine.

Archived