#21 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:11 AM

You can work in a small studio with plaster you just need to be careful, I mix the plaster in a old sour cream carton and stir it with an old stick anything from a popsickle stick  or a paint stirrer, I throw all of this away when the plaster has set up.  I shift the plaster over a trash can and any clean up on the plaster when I finish I scour the area to make sure there aren't any fly away around.  Your right working outside with plaster is better especially with large pouring projects.   Denice

#22 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

If the district ever tells me, that I have to wear a tie, I'm referencing your story.

I'd have to go out and buy one  -  the last time I wore a tie was my Dad's funeral in 1975.

#23 CarlCravens

CarlCravens

Long-time Dabbler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

Stell, if you're still nervous even wearing safety glasses, full face sheilds are pretty inexpensive (under US$20).  I use one when working with grinders (bench, angle, Dremel).  Even if no permanent harm is done, getting smacked in the face with a piece of broken cutoff wheel isn't fun (says the voice of experience).  You can get them at most hardware/construction supply places near the safety glasses or welding equipment.

It's healthy to always respect power tools, but don't let them master you.  Good protective gear, keeping equipment in good order, and a proper safety rituals will serve you well.

Carl (Wichita, KS)

#24 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:13 PM

the hardest to use tool I ever encountered is the typical xacto knife, and I have built houses using all kinds of power tools.  they ALWAYS spin as I use them and the blade came out or became loose and unsafe. 

there is a very inexpensive solid plastic knife with a protective cover for when it is not in use that can be gotten from hobby shops.  it is made by Testor, the company that puts out model airplane stuff.  first one I bought was at walmart for 79 cents.  last time I wanted one I had to order 12 of them from a model train shop.  the twelve were less than $10 and I now have one in each of 6 places I need one.  they are VERY SHARP but the design is one that cannot shift in use unless you do something really stupid.  haven't bought a new one in 6 years.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#25 Idaho Potter

Idaho Potter

Learning all the time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

I have to go with Bob Coyle on this one.  Using Sculpy clay is the easiest  method for stamps.  It takes imprints from found objects, and is easy to carve--even after it's baked in your kitchen oven.  Durable and until it's baked, you can still work on your designs.  Available anywhere art supplies are sold.  Basic pink is fairly inexpensive considering how many stamps you can get from one package.  I use dowels (glued in place after the modeling clay is baked) so that makes for more material for stamps.

Shirley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users