#21 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

Dear TJR, what I understand is (meisie) want to put sprayed clay in firing without getting bisque the clay first
and I just say it will not give the same result
And if the clay is bisque at cone 5 the porous are v.small and will not take any more glaze

As Babs stated, you are mixing up the cone numbers. Cone 5 is far too high for a bisque as you are making the clay dense, and no longer porous. you should be bisquing at cone 05 or lower. As stated above, I bisque at cone 06.

In my own studio, I bisque at cone 08, or cone07, as I am paying for the electricity myself, and I don't need to use any more than necessary.

Tom.

#22 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

Just an aside...I was letting semi wet works sit in my kiln room to dry before bisque firing them and my Kiln techsaid  this was creating too much moisture in the kiln room- which is why the outside metal on the kilns were rusting.  Just worth noting!

I would say that the outside of the kilns are rusting because of poor ventilation and the acton of the fumes emitting from the kiln rahter than the humidity caused by your work....??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users