Potentially Silly Q: What Does A Worn Wheel Head Look Like?!

Hi my trusty Gladstone wheel ( am in Ireland) is about 3rd hand (that I know of..) developed a slight 

tilt..took off the wheel head and can see slight shiny circular band where the flat axle top ( see photo) has been rubbing against the wheel head socket (see photo). Does seem to have been axle grease there but not much left...No washer of any description used..

Never had any problem before and never checked it as was no need to!

Anyone got any suggestions? Would putting a rubber washer or more axle grease on it, rectify the problem? or has the 

wheel head metal been worn so wheel head needs to be replaced?

Any advice or suggestions much appreciated :)

post-10538-0-55914000-1399126261_thumb.jpg

post-10538-0-76415800-1399126371_thumb.jpg

post-10538-0-00432000-1399126438_thumb.jpg

post-10538-0-72418400-1399126876_thumb.jpg

post-10538-0-55914000-1399126261_thumb.jpg

post-10538-0-76415800-1399126371_thumb.jpg

post-10538-0-00432000-1399126438_thumb.jpg

post-10538-0-72418400-1399126876_thumb.jpg

Looking at your pictures, I wonder if the pin going through the shaft has worn on the left side causing the wheel to slop to that side wearing the hole wider. You may replace the pin and find it works, or have to have it drilled out and a sleeve pressed in to make it back to even again if you can't replace the wheel head.

I agree with Pres. I'd take it to a metal machinist to re-sleeve the head.

Taking the question more literally though,.....It may look like a large disc around the neck or a very flat hat if worn on the head. Lol

Jed

It really DOES matter if the wheelhead is level. I trimmed some pots today and noticed that the feet were wonky. As in one side of the foot was higher than the other. You can overcome this when trimming by raising up the pot a bit on one side and making sure that clay is very secure to the pot and the wheel. I did this for one pot then I put a level on the wheelhead in one direction and leveled it, then put the level the opposite direction and leveled it that way. Most wheels should have a feet that you can adjust to the left right front and back by screwing them in or out.

As for the OP is there a machine shop in your area? That should be a very simple thing to resurface any part of the wheelhead you need or even bore out and create another way to mount it to the axle with it being perfectly level.

Its fantastic that its a third "generation" wheel. It looks like its served its purpose very well which in my mind makes it very special :)

Thanks to all for your advice & comments  :rolleyes:

Pres-I had a closer look at the screw itself and the hole in the wheel head but there's no obvious wearing on one side....

The axle is steady when spinning at full speed ( thankfully!)

Synj00- I use marine ply bats and throw tall vessels with a narrow foot- afraid you can see/feel the tilt in the wheel head when centering the bat at full speed-( no pins) I didn't notice the tilt at first-and have used the wheel for last 7 yrs-but was finding things a lot harder to do! It's only off by about 2 mm and gradually getting worse- perhaps for smaller pots & no heavy bats, I wouldn't have noticed for much longer :)

I'm the 3rd owner that I know of- but it may be 4th,5th pre owned! But she's a beauty, like an old friend where you know every creak & squeak!  :P

Tom, I did get in touch with the makers who then suggested I may need a new wheel head!

I've been googling & utubing looking for anyone with a 'worn wheel head' - unfortunately not..

JRGPots- like your literal take on it!  :D

Out of necessity- went & got some heavy axle grease and put big dollop onto axle top- refitted the wheel head and screw/pin..

All good so far! 

fingers crossed-only throwing mugs at moment so nothing heavy or taxing..

and she hums beautifully now again!

Hopefully have cured the tilt- will be certainly keeping a close eye now- taken for granted for too long!

Thanks again for all your advice  :rolleyes:

Archived