#21 Stellaria

Stellaria

Maker of Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationPetoskey, MI

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

I must be an overly picky perfectionist, because I can never seem to get an even, satisfactory line with a brush, sponge, latex makeup wedge, or foam brush, either on a banding wheel or holding the piece in my hand.
That, or I just really stink at the job :)

#22 Celia UK

Celia UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationCambridge, England

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

Love the celadon ChrisThrowsPots - is it your own recipe.

#23 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

Stella, not bring up an angry beast again, but I do all of my bottom waxing on the Griffin Grip, I also dip my foam brush in clean water before dipping it into the cold wax. Seems to help with the flow. At the same time, when I do not wax, the undercut I demonstrated allows me to sponge wash a nice even line at the undercut/glaze catch that separates the foot from the pot.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#24 Stellaria

Stellaria

Maker of Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationPetoskey, MI

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:44 AM

Good thing there are only a few of us at the studio that throw pots, or people would start getting crabby at me for hogging the griffin grip :P
I'll try it next time.

#25 Chris Throws Pots

Chris Throws Pots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

Thanks, Celia,

The recipe isn't mine to give. Sorry!

C

Christopher Vaughn Pottery
Functional stoneware forms
handcrafted in Burlington, Vermont

www.ChrisThrowsPots.com

On Instagram @chris_throws_pots

#26 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:45 PM

I load my brush with dish washing liquid, gotta be a better use for this stuff, before dipping into cold wax, seems to flow nicely, and maks for cleaning the brush easier.

#27 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:11 PM

Some brands of cold wax clean better than others. I use the stuff from Ceramic Supply. Washes out clean with just water, never gums up the brush.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#28 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:33 PM

I started requiring that brushes, to be use with wax or latex resist, have a soap solution applied to the bristles.  I required the same with the resist we use with watercolor.  It does make cleaning the brushes easier.  

The only issue I have with my wax resist, is that it does like to run.

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#29 Chris Throws Pots

Chris Throws Pots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

I ask all our studio members and students to wash all wax-dedicated brushed with hot water and soap after every use. But inevitably they get gummed up over time. We just boil some water and soak the brushes until the water cools and they're good for another month or so.

www.ChrisThrowsPots.com

#30 Kris

Kris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:44 AM

Speaking of waxing a foot ring, I do a lot of hand building so some of my "feet" are tiny feet.  Even though I wax and am careful with the glaze they still occasionally stick to the shelf causing a chip on the foot because part of the foot sticks to the shelf.  (I use kiln wash on my shelves)  Has anyone uses a bit of alumina in their cold wax to prevent this type of chipping?  I understand you ruin the wax and can only use on foot rings as the alumina hates glaze.  Let me know......thanks.

#31 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:23 AM

Speaking of waxing a foot ring, I do a lot of hand building so some of my "feet" are tiny feet.  Even though I wax and am careful with the glaze they still occasionally stick to the shelf causing a chip on the foot because part of the foot sticks to the shelf.  (I use kiln wash on my shelves)  Has anyone uses a bit of alumina in their cold wax to prevent this type of chipping?  I understand you ruin the wax and can only use on foot rings as the alumina hates glaze.  Let me know......thanks.

Kris . . . it's called plucking. Most commonly happens with porcelain and/or porcelaineous stonewares. Adding some alumina to wax works; also add a drop or two of food coloring to the alumina/wax mixture so you don't confuse it with regular wax. Can be used on feet, as well as lids seated in pots while being fired.

#32 Chris Throws Pots

Chris Throws Pots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:26 AM

Kris,

Here's a link to an old thread about stuck lids. There's a lot of comments within the posts about the use of wax with alumina hydrate. http://community.cer...s/?fromsearch=1

C

www.ChrisThrowsPots.com

#33 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

If you have good kiln wash this shouldn't happen. Put down a fresh layer of wash.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users