How To Professionally Foot A Pot?

I started requiring that brushes, to be use with wax or latex resist, have a soap solution applied to the bristles.  I required the same with the resist we use with watercolor.  It does make cleaning the brushes easier.  

The only issue I have with my wax resist, is that it does like to run.

Speaking of waxing a foot ring, I do a lot of hand building so some of my "feet" are tiny feet.  Even though I wax and am careful with the glaze they still occasionally stick to the shelf causing a chip on the foot because part of the foot sticks to the shelf.  (I use kiln wash on my shelves)  Has anyone uses a bit of alumina in their cold wax to prevent this type of chipping?  I understand you ruin the wax and can only use on foot rings as the alumina hates glaze.  Let me know......thanks.

Speaking of waxing a foot ring, I do a lot of hand building so some of my "feet" are tiny feet.  Even though I wax and am careful with the glaze they still occasionally stick to the shelf causing a chip on the foot because part of the foot sticks to the shelf.  (I use kiln wash on my shelves)  Has anyone uses a bit of alumina in their cold wax to prevent this type of chipping?  I understand you ruin the wax and can only use on foot rings as the alumina hates glaze.  Let me know......thanks.

Kris . . . it's called plucking. Most commonly happens with porcelain and/or porcelaineous stonewares. Adding some alumina to wax works; also add a drop or two of food coloring to the alumina/wax mixture so you don't confuse it with regular wax. Can be used on feet, as well as lids seated in pots while being fired.

If you have good kiln wash this shouldn't happen. Put down a fresh layer of wash.

Archived