5 replies to this topic

#1 CMCook52

CMCook52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationColumbia, TN

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

I could not find anything on the forum about soap stone tops. I have the opportunity to get a 2x4 slab of soap stone and I thought it would make a great table top for wedging. Any comments would be appreciated.

Mike Cook 

#2 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

Is soapstone porous? If not, the clay would stick quite a bit.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#3 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

Soapstone is a GREAT surface for wedging. I used one when  I was a student at Alfred. All of their wedging tables are soapstone. It will probably last you 2000 yrs. The great thing is that you can use a scraper on it and unlike canvas, it will never wear out.

I'm jealous.

My canvas table top has only lasted me 30 years and is now getting a tiny one inch square hole.

TJR.

#4 CMCook52

CMCook52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationColumbia, TN

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

TJR

Thanks for the reply. I had put some moist clay on it and it seemed to absorb some of the water so I thought it would be nice for wedging.

Mike Cook

#5 Colby Charpentier

Colby Charpentier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

TJR

Thanks for the reply. I had put some moist clay on it and it seemed to absorb some of the water so I thought it would be nice for wedging.

Mike Cook

TJR

Mike Cook

Mmhmmm, it's like a less absorbent, easier to clean, and more durable plaster. Also Alfred is about half and half on the soapstone/canvas these days, TJR!  :P

#6 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:02 AM

TJR

Mike Cook

TJR

Mike Cook

Mmhmmm, it's like a less absorbent, easier to clean, and more durable plaster. Also Alfred is about half and half on the soapstone/canvas these days, TJR!  :P

I graduated n1982. Never been back. I am sure that they have changed a few things.

Tom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users