Sign in to follow this  
CMCook52

Soap Stone For Wedging Table Top

I could not find anything on the forum about soap stone tops. I have the opportunity to get a 2x4 slab of soap stone and I thought it would make a great table top for wedging. Any comments would be appreciated.

Mike Cook 

Soapstone is a GREAT surface for wedging. I used one when  I was a student at Alfred. All of their wedging tables are soapstone. It will probably last you 2000 yrs. The great thing is that you can use a scraper on it and unlike canvas, it will never wear out.

I'm jealous.

My canvas table top has only lasted me 30 years and is now getting a tiny one inch square hole.

TJR.

Karen B and CMCook52 like this

TJR

Thanks for the reply. I had put some moist clay on it and it seemed to absorb some of the water so I thought it would be nice for wedging.

Mike Cook

TJR

Thanks for the reply. I had put some moist clay on it and it seemed to absorb some of the water so I thought it would be nice for wedging.

Mike Cook

Mmhmmm, it's like a less absorbent, easier to clean, and more durable plaster. Also Alfred is about half and half on the soapstone/canvas these days, TJR!  :P

TJR

Mike Cook

TJR

Mike Cook

Mmhmmm, it's like a less absorbent, easier to clean, and more durable plaster. Also Alfred is about half and half on the soapstone/canvas these days, TJR!  :P

I graduated n1982. Never been back. I am sure that they have changed a few things.

Tom.