Ive have been scouting out all different places for inquiries on ceramics and it seems Ive finally came to the doorstep of a great community. Im a young buck that at one point in time had ceramics as my major in college but never got the chance to graduate. So Im about 4-5 years out of practice and have slowly been building my way back. So I have a studio space behind my house, acquired a kiln with a ton of molds and glazes a few months back (WHAT A DEAL IT WAS!), and picked up an old custom built wheel that "works" to a point. I catered to slab work in college and struggled with the wheel yet always enjoyed it. My aim is to experiment heavily in pitfiring and maybe use the sagger technique as well. I found the outcome that Ive viewed from other artists beautiful.

I was once located in Clearwater FL with the access to supplies that was pretty good. However now Im up in the northeast point of Georgia (Hartwell to be exact) and I think my biggest obstacle is knowing where to go for ceramic goods. I know that the members on this forum have to be spread throughout so would anyone know of places to go for supplies? From my searches I havent found much within an hour from my location. Even so what internet supplies do you find to be the best over all? I stumbled across Kentucky Mud Works and I was impressed by them. I recently picked up 50 pounds from Good Dirt in Athens GA but I do believe that they only sell clay being that they are mainly studio/gallery orientated.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Been a wonderful forum visit so far and I will definitely be returning.

MMB

Welcome to the CAD forum. I looked in my Buyers Guide I recently got from Ceramics Monthly. There are 4 suppliers in Georgia. Two in Atlanta sell prepared clay...Davens Ceramic Center and Atlanta Clay.

There are several across the border in South Carolina. I am not familiar with the locations...

Clay-king.com in Spartanburg and Coastal Ceramic Supply in Summerville both sell moist clay but not listed as selling raw material.

I live 280 miles from my closest supplier. I ship. I am a Potters Council members and the benefits are great especially for shipping. You also get discounts on Ceramics monthly, Pottery making Illustrated, you get a web gallery as a member, and they offer health insurance. There are more benefits than that.

So welcome to our group.

Marcia

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I was an unemployed structural engineer with dual degrees and I am now working on my third bachelor's in Chemistry to teach secondary education. I have found my way back to pottery. Haven't touched a wheel since high school. I decided that if no one out there wanted me... I would make a way for myself. I am now working a dead end job, and going to school full time, while getting back into pottery. I have acquired an old Skutt kiln for 25$ with an old Leslie kiln sitter that needs all of the elements replaced. I am in the process of waiting for those replacements to arrive and an electrician friend wired my shop for it as a gift. I also have come across a Brent J model kick wheel that was posted free on craigslist from an art teacher in Seattle. With a little work ( replaced the old particle board laminated work surface and seat) it is perfectly balanced, painted the frame to give it it's beauty back and it is ready to roll. My total investment at this point is 250.00 including 150lbs of various types of clay, the wheel, the kiln, the replacement elements and the glazes most of which I picked up on eBay for a deal! (50) different types of glazes, colors, under glazes etc..

I am looking forward to having everything ready to go and it is difficult for me to wait for my studio to be complete! I look forward to any advise that may be given. I am always open to advice and new and old ideas! Eager to learn anything and everything someone is willing to teach me.

Id just make sure everything turns on and after a couple of minutes see if you feel some heat. Then if you have cone sitters, set it up with a piece or two and let it roar. I was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago. Got bunch of deals and scrounged around. If you dont have the cone sitter set up then do a lil coil with a couple of cones (the target temperature) in view by the peep holes. I goofed my first time or so brain farting and thinking 05 and 04 was below 06. I kept peeping and was like WHY ISNT IT MELTING LIKE 06 DID!!! ahahhaha it had been a while.

IM still learning the whole "full kiln" aspect, now I wish I didnt miss the kiln loadings in college. Happy firings.

Archived