Foot Rings And Puddles

I do my best not to be the one stuck emptying the dishwasher, but when I do end up with the job I hate the puddles that form on the bum of bowls and mugs.  I usually use a dishtowel to mop up trapped water before removing the cups/mugs/bowls.  I make a majority of my pieces flat on the bottom so they don't need to be trimmed but occasionally one has to use a foot.  I don't remember where I saw it, but some ingenious potter put a few small notches in the foot ring to let the water drain out.  I might see if I can incorporate a notch or two with a signature, two birds; one stone sort of thing.  Anyone else cooked up a good solution to trapped water?

I have done foot rings with cut outs so that the bowl looks a little more fancy, but have also pierced some round holes in the base of the foot ring to allow drainage. Be careful when glazing that they don't close up-it helps to bevel inside and outside of hole.

• 2 months later...

I have copied an idea that I saw on a range of plastic containers on sale in Australia. I turn the bottoms flat and mark where the foot rim would have been. Then I stick on small balls of clay, evenly spaced along the marked line. To get the little balls the same size, I extrude the clay from a clay gun and cut equal lengths which I then roll into balls on my damp palm. My computer will draw regular shapes of any number of sides. I print them and cut them out to use as a guide for the placement of the little balls.

Top each ball with a little dab of wax emulsion, and the bowls and cups are ready to raw glaze.

This maybe a pet peeve of mine but-life is to short to worry about the amount of water inside a slanted foot in the dishwasher.I unload the dishwaster  all the time with hand made bowls and the drops go away as I stack the bowls up.Its not even kind of a problem.

If you are bothered by this cut out parts of the foot but be aware this also will cuase it to-chip or warp depending on how and wear its done

I have cut out the feet of colenders as it needs to drain but that a funtional issue-water in the dishwasher is a nit picky issue.

One of the places pots suffer over the years (say 30+) is chipped feet so cut them out with this in mind.

Rant over.

Mark

One of the places pots suffer over the years (say 30+) is chipped feet so cut them out with this in mind.

Mark, noted.  Once I began making pottery I started looking at the bottoms of everything.  One thing I have started to do is make the out side of the foot under cut and rounded.  I have learned to be very careful with my pots before bisque firing to maintain a very smooth and unmarred surface.  Nothing completes the look of a pot/bowl like a good foot.

Archived