#1 Darcy Kane

Darcy Kane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Locationnorthern New Hampshire

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:46 AM

I do my best not to be the one stuck emptying the dishwasher, but when I do end up with the job I hate the puddles that form on the bum of bowls and mugs.  I usually use a dishtowel to mop up trapped water before removing the cups/mugs/bowls.  I make a majority of my pieces flat on the bottom so they don't need to be trimmed but occasionally one has to use a foot.  I don't remember where I saw it, but some ingenious potter put a few small notches in the foot ring to let the water drain out.  I might see if I can incorporate a notch or two with a signature, two birds; one stone sort of thing.  Anyone else cooked up a good solution to trapped water?

#2 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:52 AM

I have done foot rings with cut outs so that the bowl looks a little more fancy, but have also pierced some round holes in the base of the foot ring to allow drainage. Be careful when glazing that they don't close up-it helps to bevel inside and outside of hole.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#3 schmism

schmism

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationPeoria IL

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:11 PM

I put most of my bowls that have feet on an angle so 90% of the water drains off.

My mugs and a lot of my small cereal type (1lb) bowls have no feet.

#4 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

Good idea with the little beveled hole. When you do things right, nobody knows you have done anything at all.

#5 williamt

williamt

Advanced beginner, maybe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern US

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:22 PM

I've done foot rings with 3 cutouts equally spaced. That seems to work. I like your idea of incorporating the cutouts into a signature.
Lee Tucker
Black Kitty Pottery
http://www.blackkittypottery.com

#6 Chantay

Chantay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

Any pics???

- chantay

#7 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:35 AM

potter here puts 2 holes in the footrings of larger dishes and platters.Then they can be hung if buyer wants to.

If I place a deeper footring on pot, I notch, 3, the footring for certain shapes.

#8 williamt

williamt

Advanced beginner, maybe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern US

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:47 AM

Here is a picture of a possible solution, kind of what I said above. Not the prettiest, and I don't usually glaze the bottom. But the contrast helps the example.Attached File  image.jpg   133.75KB   13 downloads
Lee Tucker
Black Kitty Pottery
http://www.blackkittypottery.com

#9 earthfan

earthfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:41 AM

I have copied an idea that I saw on a range of plastic containers on sale in Australia. I turn the bottoms flat and mark where the foot rim would have been. Then I stick on small balls of clay, evenly spaced along the marked line. To get the little balls the same size, I extrude the clay from a clay gun and cut equal lengths which I then roll into balls on my damp palm. My computer will draw regular shapes of any number of sides. I print them and cut them out to use as a guide for the placement of the little balls.

Top each ball with a little dab of wax emulsion, and the bowls and cups are ready to raw glaze.

#10 Biglou13

Biglou13

Advanced beginner pottery, Advanced in other art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:02 AM

http://flyeschool.co...e-tea-bowl-feet
Caution big brother is watching.
The beige is blinding!!!!!!
The middle of the road is boring

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
-Albert Einstein

#11 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

This maybe a pet peeve of mine but-life is to short to worry about the amount of water inside a slanted foot in the dishwasher.I unload the dishwaster  all the time with hand made bowls and the drops go away as I stack the bowls up.Its not even kind of a problem.

If you are bothered by this cut out parts of the foot but be aware this also will cuase it to-chip or warp depending on how and wear its done

I have cut out the feet of colenders as it needs to drain but that a funtional issue-water in the dishwasher is a nit picky issue.

One of the places pots suffer over the years (say 30+) is chipped feet so cut them out with this in mind.

Rant over.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#12 Chantay

Chantay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

One of the places pots suffer over the years (say 30+) is chipped feet so cut them out with this in mind.

Mark, noted.  Once I began making pottery I started looking at the bottoms of everything.  One thing I have started to do is make the out side of the foot under cut and rounded.  I have learned to be very careful with my pots before bisque firing to maintain a very smooth and unmarred surface.  Nothing completes the look of a pot/bowl like a good foot.

- chantay

#13 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

Slightly rounding the edge of the feet can extend the time before chipping starts , a sharp abrupt edge to a foot will chip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users