How Do I Glaze Little Things More Efficiently?

I am making a pile of small impulse items, gift tags, spoon rests, and want to glaze them without the step of waxing the bottom of each, too much time for the little price.  How can I get a clean glaze edge without wax, efficiently? 

These are small round slightly curved items, like shallow tiny bowls, with scalloped edges.  It will be fine for the entire bottom to be unglazed, but I want them tidy.

Would lining them up and spraying work?  or pouring a bit of glaze into them and trying to swirl it around evenly?

Spraying sounds like the easiest way if you have the kit to do it.

One thing I have done its to use a vacuum and with enough suction and the right sized head you can hold small pots upside down and glaze, one problem is if you get too close the vacuum will suck up glaze ^_^ just an idea I have always wanted to develop for some kind of upside down suction but never got far with it.

To avoid glazing some parts of a bisqued piece, we use "window tape" which is usually used to protect the window pane while painting the frame. There's not too much glue on it and it sticks enough on the clay and resists to the wet glaze...By cutting it in forms, you may also use it like a stencil.  It isn't expensive and there are several sizes! Hope it will be helpful.

Get a cheap electric griddle at a flea market of Salvation Army thrift store. Get the wax at hobby lobby when they have 50% off coupon. keep the wax shallow andf just hot enough to quickly wax the bottom but not smoking hot.

Wyndham

Use hot wax as PSC says in above post

It's faster than all above ways

The second fastest is as Marcia says with a wet sponge

Be careful with hot wax as you need to keep it away from combustibles ( the hot pan).

Mark

I got my electric skillet from the thrift store, for maybe $5. Lots of people have donated them away.

I use soy wax instead of paraffin. I buy it through Amazon from a candlemaking supply company. Soy wax melts at a lower temp, melts thinner so it makes a straighter edge than paraffin. Doesn't smoke, and doesn't smell as bad. I do this indoors all the time.

You're welcome ... I'm fairly certain I read the soy wax suggestion on this forum years ago. In addition to the benefits I mentioned above, the soy wax comes in flake form, sold in 5lb or 10lb bags. I no longer need to bust up blocks of paraffin with a chisel. Now I just scoop up a 1/4 cup of flakes with a measuring cup, and I don't ever have that "darn it, the wax was too deep" problem.

OK, the thrift store man is finding the elec skillet for me.  Will I find the soy wax at hobby stores, or is it going to be a special order ?  I don't want to buy a bushel of it until I try some out.

Yes try the hobby store for the soy wax, I think it's pretty common for candlemakers these days. If you need to buy it online, you can buy as little as 1lb. I buy 10lb bags and find it lasts about 2 years.

Archived