Sign in to follow this  
Chantay

Looking For Clear Glaze For High Iron Clay

I recently switched to a high iron red clay.  The clear I am currently using looks terrible on it.  Reminds me of cat vomit.  Turns the clay from a warm red/brown to a lighter cool tan.  I will try and post a pic later today.  The glaze comes from standard, MSD-29.  I am looking for something I can make myself.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Oh, and I have lost my book from Val Cushing.

I have not and probably will not. Maybe someone near you has some they would let you dip a small piece in. If you want me to do a test tile for you, send me a private message, and I will send my address. I fire to cone 6.

When I started using a new (for me) clay from Laguna, their very dark B3, I had problems with both clarity and crazing.  I made up small batches of clear from Mastering Cone 6 Glazes, from their section on "Expansion Test Glazes" . Both the glaze #1-Low Expansion and Glaze #2-Medium-Low Expansion worked beautifully, so I just combined the two batches.  Now, when making up fresh glaze I just use the Glaze #2. 

Joan