#1 Bobg

Bobg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Locationsoutheastern WA

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

I'm looking for an underglaze that will give me the same color as in the picture at cone 6.  Any one have a clue where I can get some?  I'd even be interested in a glaze.

Bob

Attached Files

#2 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

You can tint underglazes by mixing colors. Probably your best bet to get something exact. Start with a turquoise and go from there. Be aware that most manufacturer sample tiles are fired at low fire temps, not cone 6.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#3 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

By the way the color moves on that piece, it looks like it was glazed. I don't think you can get that lovely color range and toasty shades with a coating of underglaze.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#4 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

I was kind of thinking the same thing Chris.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#5 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

The color reminds me of Slate Blue from Mastering Cone 6 Glazes. But, the finish gives the appearance of being salt fired, or wood fired -- with the color coming from a colored/oxide slip.

#6 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

The color reminds me of Slate Blue from Mastering Cone 6 Glazes. But, the finish gives the appearance of being salt fired, or wood fired -- with the color coming from a colored/oxide slip.

Slate Blue you say? Great color. I have said book, and am working my way through it. I'll have to make a note to try that one.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#7 williamt

williamt

Advanced beginner, maybe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern US

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

I have gotten a color that looks like that using laguna antique blue over speckled buff clay at cone 5, electric. I think I thinned the glaze a bit, and put on 3 coats.
Lee Tucker
Black Kitty Pottery
http://www.blackkittypottery.com

#8 jpc

jpc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

If you are interested in using under glazes I would suggest using AMOCO Velvet Underglaze Series, royal blue and hunter green. (The hunter green looks like a light turquoise in the jar but is in fact a dark green) Dip a wet brush into each color and brush it onto the surface. Stop and repeat as soon as the colors blend. A satin mat overglaze on top of that. Repeat this until the ware is completely covered or you get the look you like. I agree with the others that you are looking at the results of a glaze and firing on the piece in the picture.

#9 Tom

Tom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:06 AM

The color and Texture look very close to a glaze I am using.  its called Laura's Turquoise

cone 10 reduction. works well in oxidation.   whiting 34%, Custer feldspar 22%, kaolin 28%, silica 8%, cobalt carb 0.2%, copper carb 2.9%, Rutile ceramic  2.9%,  Bentonite 2%, 

try a small batch and let us know what you think.  have fun Tom

#10 Chantay

Chantay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:42 PM

I was thinking it was a clear base, for where the leaf is. Then the same glaze with a mason stain tint. The meeting of the clear against the color makes me think it's the same glaze. The speckles being iron in the clay. I've seen the technique before.

- chantay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users