Visiting America

Hi Everybody,

My name is Annica Delfos and I am a swedish ceramic artist (www.annicadelfos.nl) living in the Netherlands . In May I will be making a 4 week trip to America. The only thing I know is that I want to see New york ( a specially MOMA). But I would love t meet ceramic artists in America, I've never been to America And it is huge. So we are now looking around how to plan the trip... Suggestions anybody?

Greetings,

Annica

Annica,

In May, there is a group of potters in Minnesota that holds a very large studio tour. I've never been, but I get their mailings and someday I will make a road trip. It seems like you could meet dozens of fabulous potters, and see thousands of their pots.

Here's the website ... http://www.minnesotapotters.com/

Mea

Hi Everybody,

My name is Annica Delfos and I am a swedish ceramic artist (www.annicadelfos.nl) living in the Netherlands . In May I will be making a 4 week trip to America. The only thing I know is that I want to see New york ( a specially MOMA). But I would love t meet ceramic artists in America, I've never been to America And it is huge. So we are now looking around how to plan the trip... Suggestions anybody?

Greetings,

Annica

Hi Annica,

I like your work very much, especially the zig-saw pieces in a clay basket and the lamps. My suggestion for a city to visit after NY is San Francisco.

Jim

New Orleans.

Every time I visit this city I am amazed that it is in this country; that is, that the people, culture, food, ambience, and depth of character actually do exist in this country, and not some other nation.

In fact, if I had to pick only one city to spend four weeks in, it would be New Orleans.

Sounds really good, but I would also like to meet some ceramic artist, do you know anyone in New Orleans?

Hi Everybody,

Greetings,

Annica

Hi Annica,

I like your work very much, especially the zig-saw pieces in a clay basket and the lamps. My suggestion for a city to visit after NY is San Francisco.

Jim

Hi Jim,

and why San Fransisco?

Annica

Annica,

In May, there is a group of potters in Minnesota that holds a very large studio tour. I've never been, but I get their mailings and someday I will make a road trip. It seems like you could meet dozens of fabulous potters, and see thousands of their pots.

Here's the website ... http://www.minnesotapotters.com/

Mea

Hi Mea,

I like your website. Sounds great a large studiotour, but often those events are really crowded and I would like to meet and make contact with ceramic artist . Time for talk and so.

annica

Guest JBaymore

Try to get to Seagrove, North Carolina. Rural area, you'll need to rent a car and have an international license. It is "America's Pottery Village". Sort of a center of traditional pottery making in the US with a lot of contemporary wood firer's located there now.

best,

................john

While you are in NYC visit the Tribeca Potters where 11 potters share a studio space, Greenwich House Pottery established in 1909, The Museum of Art and Design formerly the American Crafts Museum, in the south village :the Renwick Gallery, and one of my favorites is the Pierpont Morgan Library where there re first editions of books including the Guttenberg Bible and spools of clay for stamping of the first writing from Mesopotamia.

www.tribecapotters.com

www.greenwichhousepottery.org/

http://www.madmuseum.org/

www.renwickgallery.com

http://www.themorgan.org/exhibitions/default.asp

If you go to Philadelphia..90 miles away there the Clay Studio with numerous Artists studios www.theclaystudio.org/about/

North of Philadelphia in Doylestown is the Mercer Museum, Font Hill and the Moravian Tile works

www.buckscounty.org/government/departments/tileworks/, http://www.mercermuseum.org/

http://www.dupontcastle.com/castles/fonthill.htm, www.diggersrealm.com/mt/archives/002390.html

Henry Mercer's home, is a concrete castle structure tiled with his Moravian Tiles and the museum has a collection of colonial artifacts that boggles the mind.

Moravian Tiles are also in the Harrisburg Capital Building if you head west from Philadelphia. It is the capital of the state of Pennsylvania. The building is an Arts and Crafts period public building with tiles, wood, and stain glass. ww.igougo.com/attractions-reviews-b338390-Harrisburg-Capitol_Building. html

If you head SW from Philadelphia to Washington DC (train from NY, Philadelphia to Washington is Amtrak further train information: Amtrak.com

The Smithsonian Institute museums are free are they are mostly on the Mall between the Washington Monument and the US Capital Building.

The Renwick is the Museum of American Crafts americanart.si.edu/renwick/

The Freer and Sackler are Asian collections and if you are lucky you can get in and handle some pots in there store room. http://www.asia.si.edu/

Outside DC via the Metro, you can visit the Torpedo Factory www.torpedofactory.org/ in Alexandria.about 15- 20 minute walk from the Metro . a building renovated over 20 years and houses open studios and galleries with work of 65 artists/craftsmen including many potters.

If you are traveling further Sea Grove in the state of North Carolina on the East coast or Minnesota in the North Central US have high concentrations of potters.

You can go across the country to Santa Fe, New Mexico and visit the Folk Museum and see Native American Pots and visit the pueblos and meet the potters. Phoenix, Arizona had the Heard Museum with a great collection of Native American pots. And there are galleries in nearby Scotsdale and the Art Center in Mesa.

Have a wonderful trip. The links seem bad, but cut and paste and they will get you there.

Marcia

Thanks Marcia,

This is great!! This kind of information is impossible to find in tourist books. I am also looking for information about ceramic mixed media , and "society-discussing" ( I really don't know what to call it ) ceramics...

freindly greetings Annica

Try to get to Seagrove, North Carolina. Rural area, you'll need to rent a car and have an international license. It is "America's Pottery Village". Sort of a center of traditional pottery making in the US with a lot of contemporary wood firer's located there now.

best,

................john

Thanks John,

Writing it down :)

greetings,

Annica

Thanks Marcia,

This is great!! This kind of information is impossible to find in tourist books. I am also looking for information about ceramic mixed media , and "society-discussing" ( I really don't know what to call it ) ceramics...

freindly greetings Annica

Political ceramics. The following artists were featured in my article on Political ceramics in a magazine, Voices of Art several months ago.

Adelaide Paul in Philadelphia, Susan Schultz, Conneticutt, Richard Notkin in Helena, Montana, Ovidio Gilberga San Antonio texas.

Archived