Sign in to follow this  
pamsheavenlycreations

Weather Proof Paint

Benzine    611

I would imagine, that a glaze will hold up better. Even the best exterior paint, fades, chips and peels with time.

Pres    896

Your solution is more than just should I glaze them. Once you do that the next step is how to fire them. Start this by looking at your firing temp and your clay. Is it an earthenware that you fire below 2000F? Or is it a mid range or upper range stoneware/porcelain body. These will help you decide what you need in the way of stilts if you glaze both sides. At the same time do you need to glaze them as mid or high fire stoneware hanging under a porch should be pretty weather safe, except for wind!

Let people know the answers to these questions, and you will probably get all sorts of help.

Pres    896

Again, it depend on whether you are using stoneware either mid or high that is vitrified. If earthenware, too much water absorption-they won't ring, and will deteriorate.

I glaze the body, aka the bigger part the chimes hang from. I do not glaze the chimes. I recommend making extra chimes to have on hand, as they can break over time.