What To Make?

I have reached that point in my process that things are starting to turn out the way I intended.  I hope to start giving some of my projects away and suddenly realize I have no idea what people would prefer to recieve.  For example, I am thinking no one would really care about my bottles but me cause the fun is in making them.  Likewise, my mugs and cups.  I get great joy in having them turn out like I envisioned, but not sure anyone would really want to drink out of them.  So, what do folks seem to want?  I am hoping to fill some X-mas presents with my summer efforts.

I gave away a crapton of mugs and tumblers for Christmas last year. It didn't really matter how well-made they were, everybody loved them anyway and most of them now see daily use. I'm hoping they all break within the next few years ;)

I'll be giving mugs again this year, except to the people who have commented that they really liked the cups without handles. It's helpful that I love throwing drinking vessels to begin with. If you love throwing a different form, try to think of a way to incorporate it into another gift that everyone could use. Like bottles - can they be made into olive oil bottles, and be paired with a nice olive oil for a gift? Something like that.

I always start out with mugs. I make 50 or 60 at a time. Then match them up by height so they can be sets, but no one ever buys sets. I love the fact that if I throw 15 mugs, I pull 15 handles and they all work.[pauses to reach around and pat himself on the back]. If you like making bowls, people respond to them as well.

People must see an obvious use for something before they take it home.

I like the word;"crapton", but couldn't work it into a sentence.

TJR.

TJR.

Many years ago I helped with the circus when it came to town.  Amoung the more noteable jobs was hauling the elephant waste to a dump site out of town.  That is the first thing that still comes to mind whenever someone makes reference to a crapton of stuff.

So, what do folks seem to want?  I am hoping to fill some X-mas presents with my summer efforts.

Small bowls, soap dishes, spoon rests, sponge holders, pen/pencil holders, tea bag holders. Things someone would use everyday or see on their desk/kitchen everyday. What will matter most is that you made the item.

TJR.

Many years ago I helped with the circus when it came to town.  Amoung the more noteable jobs was hauling the elephant waste to a dump site out of town.  That is the first thing that still comes to mind whenever someone makes reference to a crapton of stuff.

At the San Diego Zoo, instead of hauling away the craptons of elephant doo doo, they bag it up an sell it as "Zoo Doo". Apparently it is quite good for your garden as it is full of chewed up grass.

Remember, someone's crapton is someone else's zoodoo.

You heard it here first.

TJR.

I always start out with mugs. I make 50 or 60 at a time. Then match them up by height so they can be sets, but no one ever buys sets. I love the fact that if I throw 15 mugs, I pull 15 handles and they all work.[pauses to reach around and pat himself on the back]. If you like making bowls, people respond to them as well.

People must see an obvious use for something before they take it home.

TJR.

How about this

I was visiting TJR,s studio and stepped in his crapton and had to go outside to wipe my shoe.

Mark

I know some things but the English language is not one of them.

Lucky it wasn't his crampon!    I thought TJR would have special whaletons of craptons.

What size is his doormat?

Doesn't matter what you give, it's in the giving.

i give pressies to pets and have seen Parmi's bowl ,avatar dog, full of salad.

next year, well this one, I am writing her name all over this one.

Lucky it wasn't his crampon!    I thought TJR would have special whaletons of craptons.

What size is his doormat?

Doesn't matter what you give, it's in the giving.

i give pressies to pets and have seen Parmi's bowl ,avatar dog, full of salad.

next year, well this one, I am writing her name all over this one.

How does the size of my doormat affect a whaleton of craptons?

Just wondering.

T.

Sort of depends on the recipient, too.  I have one friend who has a yard full of my pottery mishaps from several years that she absolutely treasures.  I gave her two bowls that had S cracks to use for pet bowls, but she loved the glazes and uses them in the kitchen!  I use S cracked stuff, too, which doesn't happen too often any more, but they're fine for me.  Just today one of my favorite lidded jars (no S crack!) arrived in California to a long-time friend.  Turned out to be the perfect glaze for her kitchen.  I sent along a ring keeper, too.  Ring keepers are easy and quick to make, sell pretty well, and make great stocking stuffer type gifts.  Poke a hole in the post and it can double as a burner for incense sticks.  You could think about personalizing your cups and mugs in some way for each person.  Do you know anyone who knits or crochets?  I've started making yarn bowls and bells.  They're fun.  Desk accessories?  Dishes to hold things that usually get tossed all over the place on a desk or to hold pens and pencils.  I agree that you can get wonderful inspiration from Etsy and from Pinterest.  We can always take an idea and modify it to make it our own.  I also agree with everyone else who has said that the recipient will love whatever you give, because YOU made it and it's special to them. 

Would someone like to create a new topic for all the crap discussion?  The person asked a pottery question and it's just got out of control.  I'd rather not unsubscribe to stop getting the cute quips, but I'd much prefer to read comments that are addressed to the topic question.  Thanks!

Archived