#21 Colby Charpentier

Colby Charpentier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

Celica, glass will have different viscosities at different temperatures. If I'm understanding that you're just looking to melt crushed glass onto a glazed surface, you can adhere or temporarily fix the glass to the unfired glaze surface and glaze fire as usual. If you're looking to fuse formed pieces of glass with a glazed surface, you'd likely run into some expansion issues, nothing surmountable, but definitely a bit of a task to work through....

#22 celica

celica

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

thank you so much.  I dont want to adhere fully formed pieces, just add highlights with crushed glass.  Two other questions: have you any idea what to use to adhere it until it melts, would I use some sort of glue which would burn out and, do I have to lay the piece down so the glass wont run as it melts.

#23 Venicemud

Venicemud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

There is a substance that China Painters use called Structure Paste that is used on the surface of glazed objects to provide texture.  This can be applied to the surface of a fired piece and used (before it dries) as "glue" for pieces of glass.  The piece is then fired to around 015 - 018.  I'm sure that the finished piece would not be considered food safe but it can be a very effective addition to ornamental pieces, the outside of vases etc.  Check the gallery Marci Blattenbergers web site, she uses this technique frequently.

Joan

#24 celica

celica

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

that is so useful, I cant wait now to give it a go.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Glass, Bowls, Kiln, Clay, Firing, Bowl, Trimming, Mug, Vase, Glaze

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users