#21 Colby Charpentier

Colby Charpentier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

Stellaria, When centering clay for one of Gustin's larger platters (~60 lbs) we would pack clay onto the wheel, lightly hitting it while slowly rotating the wheel (by hand) for the next hit. Chris would then come by with a rib to "affirm" the "centeredness..." The better we got at packing the clay on center, the less work was eventually required, and the happier Chris was. At a certain point, you get really good at packing the clay on center, to the point you can just open and pull. A lot of compression is taking place while opening anyway, and it's the perfect time to tidy up the walls without removing material. Thus, traditional centering methods become a bit extraneous for this particular process, as it applies to larger amounts of clay.

I saw this same type of approach while working with a one-handed potter up in Maine. The other trick he would use was "affirming the centeredness" by manipulating just a single ring of the clay at a time. It was as if he was pulling just the outside of the lump of clay prior to opening it. I poked around a bit on youtube to find examples of each of these "moves" without much success...

#22 Stellaria

Stellaria

Maker of Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationPetoskey, MI

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

I gravitate toward left hand fixed as well. I tried right hand fixed, but had terrible results. I keep trying every so often, because people seem to have such logical-sounding arguments for doing it that way....but I keep going back to left hand fixed. It might be that that is the weaker hand, so giving that one the "just sit there and STAY there" job is best use of my resources. Right hand just seems to do the better job with the centering down.

#23 Stellaria

Stellaria

Maker of Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationPetoskey, MI

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

Ah, ok. So you're talking REALLY large amounts of clay. That makes way more sense now :)

#24 Biglou13

Biglou13

Advanced beginner pottery, Advanced in other art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:58 PM

Ok here is my 2 cents

I uses to have issues cetering

Like above, and many japanese,and other Asian artists I "clap" center first.

I center ball to rings on wheel. (70%) centered

Then I clap clap center first, with wheel turning slowly clap clay downwards and in triangle shape. (93%centerd)

After a period of clapping I mush clay down at base "Pin the clay to the bat"

Now with both hands and some water on clay start with same clap angle and push clay downward. From here hands on side of clay and coax it upward. At this point it's usually centered.(100%) But I cone up a and down a few times. Prior to coning the clay is centered. I uses to muscle it now with my young padwan learner skills (aka budding Jedi skills). I will the clay to center.

Another thing is stiff clay is harder to center.

You have to watch ryoji koie videos he has arthritic deformity and still centers and pulls like the master that he is. I'm no knocking anyone's disability but centering isn't as tough as wedging on the body.
Caution big brother is watching.
The beige is blinding!!!!!!
The middle of the road is boring

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
-Albert Einstein

#25 Stellaria

Stellaria

Maker of Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationPetoskey, MI

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:04 PM

Basically....I just have a long way to go! This is where that patience thing is supposed to be used, isn't it?

#26 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

I suggest a great physical therapist. Hand strength exercises are going to help
If they can cut 3bones out of my wrist 2years ago and I can now throw fine I,m sure you can rehab this.
Time and work is what you need with some guidance.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users