Photo

What Is Your Strongest Concern In Making Your Work?

Question of the week

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

Do you focus on form, texture, surface design, glaze? What is the ultimate concern or focus when you begin working to the final product? Do you go through transitions as the piece goes through stages?

Marcia

#2 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

I focus on form first and then worry about texture and glaze later.  If you think about it, if you don't have the form right you don't need texture or glaze.  I spend a lot of time testing and retesting glazes at the end of a project it can make or break it. I tend to work on large tile murals and think of them as projects not individual pieces.   Denice

#3 GEP

GEP

Moderator / full time potter ^6 stoneware

• Moderators
  • 874 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

My first concern is function. I do not want adequate performers, I want to make pots that excel at their jobs.
Mea Rhee
Good Elephant Pottery
http://www.goodelephant.com

#4 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

thats a great question. I truly have no idea about that. I just enjoy working with the clay wether it's throwing, sculpting, or pulling handles.  I don't enjoy glazing unless it's a painted piece with underglaze and clear coat over. So I guess I should say for me it's the "Creative process" that I enjoy.   The concern is for all of the creative components to hopefully be cohesive with each other. Matching glaze with the body, a good feeling handle etc.  

Learning On my Kick wheel with my vintage Paragon (from the late 1960's)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users