Standard 266

Yes, the 211 hazelnut is quite messy. I have a few hundred pounds left, but most of my stock is 112. I find it almost funny that someone considers the 112 to be too course. I have found it to be a very rewarding clay that does not bother my hands at all. Whenever I wish to throw larger pieces the 112 is my go to clay for so many reasons, first its strength in throwing, its ability to be thrown relatively thin, neutral color that glazes react well to, and the mild speckling.

I am considering a porcelain body next time around, but not certain I want to go that direction. Maybe back to a white clay body of some sort for some new ideas.

I quite like the 112 to throw but haven't glazed it yet.  I'm on the "let's switch to ^6" adventure and the 112 is my current guinea pig.  after running through a few 100#s of porcelain I can safely say, PORCELAIN pounds sand, and I'll take a pass!  

I'm not positive, maybe Standard 365?  I have used gobs of Bmix 10 and Laguna 900 and have had great luck with both, but this past winter I got a bug in my bonnet that I needed to change to ^6 so I have tried a few different clays.  The porcelain  was just more persnickety than the other clays I've tried.  The good things about the porcelain was it dried super fast and could be trimmed soon.  That was also a negative if the clay was working on a different schedule than me.  Handles required more attention to attach without cracking and I discovered i didn't need the things that porcelain excels at. I am not throwing super thin and I don't need bright white.

So I have cracked open a bag of Bmix5 which so far so good.  I had left Laguana for Standard because of the QC of Laguna (chunks of odd stuff in the clay) but I'm giving it another chance.  I've just decided that as a casual potter I don't need to use the high test of porcelain.

Archived