I Finally Get To Fire Again!

Guest JBaymore

Sleet and freezing rain here in NH.  Still have an average of 1 1/2 feet of snow on the ground.  By the gas kiln.... the shoveled pile is just below the roof line. 

No spring here yet. :rolleyes:

best,

................john

Sleet and freezing rain here in NH.  Still have an average of 1 1/2 feet of snow on the ground.  By the gas kiln.... the shoveled pile is just below the roof line. 

No spring here yet. :rolleyes:

best,

................john

I must be a bit north of you as we still have at least 3 feet on the flat in our yard and plenty of snow banked up over 6 feet from plowing this winter.  Over the weekend we had to shovel the roof of the barn because the snow had stacked so high under the eaves there wasn't any room for it to slide off.  The Mt. Washington Valley had a banner snow year this year, but it's time for a little spring.

It's been sixties here the past couple days. I actually got quite a bit of yard work done. The only snow left is from the large piles.

I was waiting for weather like this to do a Raku firing. Sadly, the intended projects aren't finished yet.... Plus the mild weather came with some very high wind, that I wouldn't want to deal with, while firing.

Central PA has been wet, and breezy also. I am hoping to get out into the shop, but today the remodeling has extended to a new door on the shop. The old door did not latch and only stayed shut with latch hooks on inside and outside. Even latched it left an inch gap for the Winter winds to blow in. The brick is still quite cold so heating it up will take a few days.

Guest JBaymore

We've reached 40F here today and sunny.  Still plenty of snow even aftter the sleet and rain yesterday.   Still at least a foot in most places... more in others. And huge snowbanks still.  I see no ground surface anywhere on my property except where things have been plowed in the driveway and road.  And that, being a dirt road, is a mud wallow at the moment. 

The river ice is now out on the Souhegan River, which circles the back half of my property... and it looks like the usual danger of spring flooding due to rain, snowpack runoff, and ice jams here is over for this spring.  I expected a really bad problem this year due to the amount of ice that the river accumulated due to the severe sustained cold.... but it seemed to break up OK.

Glad some places are feeling like spring is actually here on April 1st.  We've got a ways to go.

best,

.................john

Two weeks ago it was too cold to stay more than an hour in my unheated glassio.  Today, I opened the door, half-stepped in then jumped back out.  It was 40C in there.  Did plenty of gardening instead as it was sooooo nice in the sunshine.

Archived