Stacking Cone 6 Greenware In Bisque Firing

I know you should be able to stack greenware for a bisque firing without incident -- but I'm always afraid to - mostly because I'm afraid that my cone 6 porcelain plates and platters will not stay flat. Generally speaking the shape doesn't change in my bisque firings (05 or 04) - but because I prefer to use fairly thin slabs to create my work, there is sometimes warping during the glaze firing.

Technically and intellecturally I know it is unlikely that cone 6 porcelain (Tuckers Bright White) will move in shape during a cone 04 or 05 firing...but still I hesitate. I would love to stack - to get a bigger load of bisque done at once. Would love to hear others experience with stacking (and when I say stacking, I just mean stacking two plates or platters - not a half dozen!)

I know how you feel, I just fired a large bisque firing that had 40 large thin leaves of various sizes for a mural in it.  I stacked the leaves with the largest on the bottom then each leaf on top was smaller, I stacked them 4 deep.  I don't use the Cone 6 porcelain, I use a general purpose throwing\handbuilding C6 clay. Maybe someone who does can answer your question.    Denice

after seeing a picture on this forum of "tumble" stacking  I have been less worried about really loading up a bisque load.   I use b mix, porcelain, and a brown stoneware.  I was always worried about warping or handles falling off mugs...so far that has not happened.  maybe try stacking with a few pieces just to see how it goes?

The key to stacking pieces in bisque it to make sure forces aren't applied in directions that could cause cracking. When stacking bowls and plates, make sure the foot is resting in the bottom of the piece below it, so there is no outward pressure against the lip. You can also stack foot to foot, or lip to lip.

Archived