Using A Dust Mask, Breathing, And Seeing At The Same Time. Is It Possible?

We all know that we need to wear dust masks or respirators when working with any ceramic dust.  I have unlined bifocals.  Every time I put a dust mask on my face, my breath condenses on my glasses or the mask just pushes the glasses up enough so that I can't see through the part I need to look through.  I hate masks as much as I hate gloves, but I realize the necessity of the masks.  Does anyone have any advice about how I may see and breathe at the same time while leaving my hands free to work?  There must be something simple that I'm just missing because I get so annoyed. 

Guest JBaymore

If you are getting breath on your glasses... it is a CLEAR indication that the mask does not fit your face.  So you are NOT being protected by it. 

I wear glasses and nothing goes toward them around the nose contact area.  It is sealed.

Are you using a half-face respirator.... or one of those "paper" masks?  You should be using the former not the latter UNLESS you have had professional air sampling done and know the actual level of the contaminants you are exposed to.

See this OSHA website for the important fit testing information:  https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=standards&p_id=9780

Note that respirators DO come in sizes....... generally small, medium, and large.  You have to go to a specialized safety supply company to usually find these.  Women often have faces that the typical "mens" respirators that are what is usually "in stock" don't fit very well.  See this:  http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/1047322X.1990.10389628#preview

best,

.......................john

John, thanks for the links and the advice.  Noted.

I'm a hobby potter.  I don't mix clay or glazes from dry form.  I try to keep my small studio mopped after some trimmings dry on the floor.  I like to use Scotch Brite to smooth a few things and I usually take them outside on a day when I can tell which way the breeze is going so the dust can blow that direction and not up my nose.  When the weather is cold or rainy and I have something I want to smooth 'right now', that's when I don a paper dust mask with the little metal pincher thing over the nose.  If I can't wear my glasses and that thing, wonder how I could see with a full-sized respirator.  I've looked at them in the stores and decide not to pay so much for something I use once every month or two for maybe 15 minutes. 

Well Thanks Tyler ... I do indeed need to "work in a world of comfort" ...

maybe the airflow system might also mute noises of pesky people wanting something. :D

Seriously though ... I too have trouble finding a mask to fit a female type face.

Where do I go to get one and some professional advice too?

Guest JBaymore

My husband the Safety Professional concurs with John on Northern http://www.northerns...g-kits-supplies saying they have a plethora of respirators/filters/good prices/and speedy delivery.  He said the one he ordered for me was a small and he insists I wear it snugged up tight.  He also insisted that I buy one and use it even for the littlest jobs.  Remember, you only get one set of lungs.

Archived