22 replies to this topic

#21 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:10 PM

The supplier of your slip may have a tried and true glaze that will fit onto the slip you are using. This may be the way for you if you are not confident in altering glazes/clay bodies. 

hit the crazing button above left to see the discussions around this prob. You are not alone.

If you keep just trying at random it could get expensive. AND you will be more frustrated. Talk to your supplier.

The issue, as addressed by JB, won't go away without testing and altering.

#22 PotteryLodge

PotteryLodge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

My crazing is OVER!!!!! I went back to using my local slip and it worked!! My pieces are perfectly craze free : ) Thank you everyone for the advice!!

#23 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

OK>.. now I'm confused........... you said

I have been using the same clay,slip and glazes purchased from a local ceramic shop. Everything has turned out beautifully but I got a new mug mold that will NOT stop giving me issues!

Then you said.........

My crazing is OVER!!!!! I went back to using my local slip and it worked!! My pieces are perfectly craze free : ) Thank you everyone for the advice!!

If you had said you changed the BODY you were using along with the mold.... we could have gotten to the answer without all the confusion.  Then all the changes in which glaze used was just a "red herring" dragged across the path.

We could have saved you a lot of time.  Sorry.

best,

.......................john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crazing, mugs, cracks, slip casting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users