Artists Research Project - Help Needed

Hi All,

I am currently working on a research paper on craft artists which requires data collection to earn my masters degree. The survey is only 10 questions and you can remain anonymous. If you are willing please complete the survey available at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JTBX6MM.

Feel free to also pass it on to other practicing craft artisans. Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks,

I was about to answer the survey when my sleep deprived brain realized it was asking for craft artist not clay artist.  I don't consider myself to be a craft artist.  My future daughter-in law said I was crafty like her mom, she made teddy bears.  It was all I could do to keep from throwing her out of the house, I told her I wasn't a crafty person I had never made crafts.   Denice

I was about to answer the survey when my sleep deprived brain realized it was asking for craft artist not clay artist.  I don't consider myself to be a craft artist.  My future daughter-in law said I was crafty like her mom, she made teddy bears.  It was all I could do to keep from throwing her out of the house, I told her I wasn't a crafty person I had never made crafts.   Denice

I agree with you Denice, I don't like the word "crafty" or the noun "crafter" because I think these words sound child-like. However, I do like the word "craft" when used in an adult sense. Right now the American Craft Council (http://craftcouncil.org) is working on an identity statement for the word "craft," and I think they are going about it in an intelligent way. Hopefully the word "craft" will mean something positive to all of us before too long.

I had a look at the survey Chris (I'm a researcher when not making pots) and its innocuous, but I understand where you are coming from, it's a bit like barrelling unannounced into a party of people you don't know and trying to get everyone  to tell you about themselves.  Perhaps there should be a section if students want to ask the forum members for help with this sort of thing? 

Ixchelm would you consider putting some more information about yourself in your profile? And maybe explaining what the assignment is that you are doing and why you would like the forum to provide the infomation that you are seeking. It may allay the members apprehension and help you get some more data for your survey. The forum gets posts by people trying to market various things from time to time, so if you provide some more background people can see straight away that you are not pursuing a commercial interest :)

Well, after all the warm and inviting comments, I went ahead and completed the survey.

Yes, it would have been nice to have a little bit more background from the poster by way of introduction, etc. And, yes, I am generally leery of surveys. But, there are more polite ways to make that point. Lou . . . sorry, no questions about splash pans or other Offcenter pet peeves. But, if you had bothered to look at the survey yourself, you would have known.

To paraphrase the old sergeant from Hill Street Blues, "Be safe (and nice) out there."

Well, after all the warm and inviting comments, I went ahead and completed the survey.

Yes, it would have been nice to have a little bit more background from the poster by way of introduction, etc. And, yes, I am generally leery of surveys. But, there are more polite ways to make that point. Lou . . . sorry, no questions about splash pans or other Offcenter pet peeves. But, if you had bothered to look at the survey yourself, you would have known.

To paraphrase the old sergeant from Hill Street Blues, "Be safe (and nice) out there."

Agreed.Perhaps ixchelm hasn't taken many stats classes on how to phrase questions but no big deal filling it out.

I wasnt trying to be impolite! Quite the opposite! And I filled it out too, but I did want to reassure Chris it wasn't one of those people who joins up and posts advertisements about new kitchens or weightloss trying to work out how best to market to forums or wanting really personal info. That it was just a student survey. I didn't think it was nasty to ask Ixchelm for a bit more info to reassure people he our she was in fact a student and not about to come back marketing something aimed at people who do creative work. I only wondered it myself because there are those advertisers who get through on a semi regular basis.

Archived