• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,944 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

Actually, Soldner might consider that being over-dressed.

Yup... he was well known for 'streaking' at the NCECA dance every year for a LONG time. And his older posters for the equipment were R rated for sure. ;)

best,

...................john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#42 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

Not sure if he was trying to build numbers up in his classes or trying to reduce them!

Phaps his undies had scorch marks from the raku the day before and not suitable, sorry, for the evening wear? :) ?

#43 AnnaM

AnnaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

I love a good streaker, its the ultimate comedy act! You don't see them anymore, but in the 70's & 80's in Australia during the cricket season (summer) there was invariably one or two during the international series. It was always hilarious to watch naked people racing and cartwheeling across the oval with the police and security in tow!

Perhaps there could be a  'Paul Soldner Memorial Nudie Run' at NCECA, although they aren't as funny when they're sanctioned!

I wouldn't recommend this for markets though ;)

#44 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:13 AM

Actually, Soldner might consider that being over-dressed.

Yup... he was well known for 'streaking' at the NCECA dance every year for a LONG time. And his older posters for the equipment were R rated for sure. ;)

best,

...................john

His ads used wonderful wordplay and were considered risqué -- hey, we're talking about a ceramics magazine. If you look at his website, there is a collection of about 175 or so that you can look over. A potter friend of mine has a classic Soldner poster -- him and a group of his "students" (or devotees/groupies) all in the buff and posing with his, er, equipment. A legend in the so many senses of the word.

#45 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:24 AM

Reminds me of a day at Penn State that is a well kept secret. Stephenson a professor at grad classes was called away for a meeting. He had started a lesson exploring the virtues of visualizing everyday objects made out of clay. He had two barrels of really smooth slip, and a pile of various objects for us to dip in clay. We started by dipping objects, and evaluating their look as a group under his supervision. Then he was called to an admin meeting, and eventually things progressed/regressed to 6-8 people running around campus covered head to toe in slip. There were pictures of slip dipped students sitting around a table in one of the gas kilns, in the old iron bathtub for slop, on the potters wheel with someone throwing them. The craziest is when a family of 4 were leaving the creamery ice cream cones in hand, one dropped when a pair of slip dipped streakers went running by.   Oh the 70's were the days! What happened to us?

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#46 AnnaM

AnnaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:46 AM

That is hilarious!

#47 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

I often remember the 70's and wonder the same thing.  Life on campus then was mostly hilarious.  We have lost our sense of humor as a society, I think. 

#48 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

Oh the 70's were the days! What happened to us?

We grew up and became . . . our parents.

#49 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,944 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

Oh the 70's were the days! What happened to us?

We grew up and became . . . our parents.

Oh crap! :rolleyes:

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#50 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:00 AM

More has happened than that. Sadly so.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#51 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

We were free thinkers,

We were dangerous to/for the Establishment,

We were reined in,

We were put to war!

We were sobered, some of the time,

So we turned to work with clay,

where we wear suits, pyjamas, undies, hell anything,

To go to work in. :)

#52 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:58 AM

I know I am more radical than my son, who often just shakes his head at me.

#53 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

Years ago, I was told things went in cycles like a pendulum swinging back and forth. The laid back, open society of the 60's gave rein to more and more conservative moves until we have a conservative uptight, often bigoted society. It seems to be suspended in the swing back, but as in all things, it will happen.

#54 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

seems like we have a schitzo society, with Miley Cyrus and the right wingers at the same time.  Often, I just turn the TV off.

#55 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

P.S. Benzine is that a lounge suite you're sitting on in your profile picture?!

It's comfy, but not quite a lounge.  Just my basement studio, that was used as a wood shop by a previous owner, that before that was the coal room, for the house.  Basically, the room has never been clean.

Now don't get ideas from Benzine AnnaM!

I tell my students the same thing daily.

Here is my 13 yr old daughter throwing in Leggings, winter boots, a shirt that is too small for her, and my potters apron.   ;)   

Awesome, get them started as early as you can!  Sadly, I don't think I have ever had a student come in to my classroom, with wheel experience.  The closest I've had is "Oh yeah, I know those things, like in that scene from the movie 'Ghost'"........

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#56 Mudslinger Ceramics

Mudslinger Ceramics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

I know I am more radical than my son, who often just shakes his head at me.

Same.....

Mudslinger Ceramics :   www.mudslingerceramics.net

'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to.

It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.'

- Robert Henri

#57 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 2nd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

I often work in pajamas and slippers, sometimes my bathrobe if I sneak down in the middle of the night to try something and don't want to wake the hubby by finding proper pjs or clothes. Foot wear is usually slippers or bare feet depending on the time of year. I have gotten used to hair with clay clumps holding portions together actually works really well when you forget to tie it back before starting wheel work and then don't want to stop get cleaned up just to tie it back.

On a stranger note I have actually gone down to the studio wrapped in just a towel. My hair dryer got repurposed for clay drying and I never remember I need it until after I have showered. Once down in the studio I always get distracted by things I need to do like cover/ uncover pots that are drying, attach a handle or sprig, etc. When I get back upstairs I then usually have to go back to the studio to retrieve the forgotten hair dryer a second time. It's probably a good thing my dogs already think I'm weird and don't really seem to mind the half naked me wandering around the studio as long as I toss them a treat or two.

On a final note.... My daughters friends have always thought I was cooler than she not that I ever felt cool mind you. Being the artsy Mom made me popular with the kids since it was always fun to hang out in the studio and watch me work. Why they thought it was cool to watch a paint splattered me talk to myself and search for yet another paint brush that I lost but was really stuck in my hair holding it out of the way I have no idea. Oh and yes I have tattoos and piercings, yet can still pull off yuppy if I want since that is all just camouflage by way of sweater sets and khakis. Personally I don't dress a certain way because someone else expects me to if I like it I'll wear it and if that means khakis, skirts, pajamas or shorts so be it.

Terry
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#58 Stellaria

Stellaria

Maker of Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationPetoskey, MI

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

There's nothing quite like having your teenagers' friends say you're awesome just because you do interesting things all the time, is there? :D

#59 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

Yeah, my daughters friends like to come down and watch me throw (i have a 15 yr old, 13 yr old, 10 yr old and 4 yr old son)  My girls always come down to get their friends back LOL ;) 

Learning On my Kick wheel with my vintage Paragon (from the late 1960's)

#60 Idaho Potter

Idaho Potter

Learning all the time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

This has been a most entertaining thread!  Years ago I traded fad and fashion for comfort.  Sweats + T-shirt and Birks in summer, spring and fall.  Winters I add a sweatshirt on top and socks on bottom.  Everything covered as best I can with an apron.  Dress up is for weddings and funerals--I don't like going to either one.  When mingling with folks at the grocery store, I trade sweats for jeans and wash up.

Reading about the critics reminded me of a potter friend of mine who had Dragon Lady fingernails and her hands always looked like she'd just had a manicure.  At a show, I heard a "customer" dispute the fact that she had produced all the pottery exhibited in her booth had been done by her--because of the length of her nails.  She responded with, "It is because of my martial arts training.  I can throw pots, or disembowel an opponent just as easily."

I wanted to applaud.

Shirley

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Selling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users