We were put to war!

We were sobered, some of the time,

So we turned to work with clay,

where we wear suits, pyjamas, undies, hell anything,

To go to work in. :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Years ago, I was told things went in cycles like a pendulum swinging back and forth. The laid back, open society of the 60's gave rein to more and more conservative moves until we have a conservative uptight, often bigoted society. It seems to be suspended in the swing back, but as in all things, it will happen.

P.S. Benzine is that a lounge suite you're sitting on in your profile picture?!

It's comfy, but not quite a lounge.  Just my basement studio, that was used as a wood shop by a previous owner, that before that was the coal room, for the house.  Basically, the room has never been clean.

Now don't get ideas from Benzine AnnaM!

I tell my students the same thing daily.

Here is my 13 yr old daughter throwing in Leggings, winter boots, a shirt that is too small for her, and my potters apron.   ;)   

Awesome, get them started as early as you can!  Sadly, I don't think I have ever had a student come in to my classroom, with wheel experience.  The closest I've had is "Oh yeah, I know those things, like in that scene from the movie 'Ghost'"........

I often work in pajamas and slippers, sometimes my bathrobe if I sneak down in the middle of the night to try something and don't want to wake the hubby by finding proper pjs or clothes. Foot wear is usually slippers or bare feet depending on the time of year. I have gotten used to hair with clay clumps holding portions together actually works really well when you forget to tie it back before starting wheel work and then don't want to stop get cleaned up just to tie it back.

On a stranger note I have actually gone down to the studio wrapped in just a towel. My hair dryer got repurposed for clay drying and I never remember I need it until after I have showered. Once down in the studio I always get distracted by things I need to do like cover/ uncover pots that are drying, attach a handle or sprig, etc. When I get back upstairs I then usually have to go back to the studio to retrieve the forgotten hair dryer a second time. It's probably a good thing my dogs already think I'm weird and don't really seem to mind the half naked me wandering around the studio as long as I toss them a treat or two.

On a final note.... My daughters friends have always thought I was cooler than she not that I ever felt cool mind you. Being the artsy Mom made me popular with the kids since it was always fun to hang out in the studio and watch me work. Why they thought it was cool to watch a paint splattered me talk to myself and search for yet another paint brush that I lost but was really stuck in my hair holding it out of the way I have no idea. Oh and yes I have tattoos and piercings, yet can still pull off yuppy if I want since that is all just camouflage by way of sweater sets and khakis. Personally I don't dress a certain way because someone else expects me to if I like it I'll wear it and if that means khakis, skirts, pajamas or shorts so be it.

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

This has been a most entertaining thread!  Years ago I traded fad and fashion for comfort.  Sweats + T-shirt and Birks in summer, spring and fall.  Winters I add a sweatshirt on top and socks on bottom.  Everything covered as best I can with an apron.  Dress up is for weddings and funerals--I don't like going to either one.  When mingling with folks at the grocery store, I trade sweats for jeans and wash up.

Reading about the critics reminded me of a potter friend of mine who had Dragon Lady fingernails and her hands always looked like she'd just had a manicure.  At a show, I heard a "customer" dispute the fact that she had produced all the pottery exhibited in her booth had been done by her--because of the length of her nails.  She responded with, "It is because of my martial arts training.  I can throw pots, or disembowel an opponent just as easily."

I wanted to applaud.

Shirley

Great thread especially the part about Paul Soldner, I have a old poster of his on my studio wall of course everyone is naked.  My most intrusting story about him comes from a seminar he put on here.  It was very hot and and people were lightly dressed especially Paul he just had a pair of raggedy jean shorts on full of holes  and no underwear.  I had a elderly man sitting next to me that I knew from a sculpture group,  he started muttering how shameful and disgusting it was.  I asked him what was wrong and he told me how Paul's private parts were hanging out.  I hadn't noticed I was too busy watching Paul throw,  I told him  that just the way Paul is and wondered why he noticed.  Last spring we were in the small town of Newton,Ks  and discovered a Soldner pug mill manufacturer, it looked like it had been there since the 70's.  Denice

• 4 weeks later...

hi, Babs,  I know it is a little late to add a comment, and yes, I was working in the studio on March 20 wearing wool socks, leather tennis shoes, jeans, a long sleeved tee shirt.  an old fashioned barrette holding my hair back.  that is my usual wardrobe when the temperature is from 70 to 75 degrees.  add one or two wool sweaters and another pair of socks if the temp is below 70.  if it gets higher than 80 degrees, I might have a short sleeved tee shirt if it is sunny. 

the wool socks come off when it gets more than 82 or so. 

an allergy to cold is no fun.  that's why I go to Florida every winter.  tee shirts are great because there is no space between buttons for a cold draft to blow so there are 4 drawers full of them, 2 nice (buttons) shirts in the closet.  usually over a tee shirt.

I used to see the Soldner ads and shiver. 

but craft fairs,  you just need to be artsy looking.  thin, flowing flower printed, scarf topped, jewelry covered, thin and beautiful.       oh, that isn't me that is the lady in the next booth.

Archived