Expectation And Appearance

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once went in to the arts center to throw while still wearing my Iron Age Briton getup because it was too comfy and I didn't want to change. It meant that my linen bog dress became my smock, and got well-christened with red clay splatters :D It also meant that I confused the crap out of the rest of the clay club :P

The best part - linen doesn't like to take on color, so no staining!

There was a story I heard on the radio where a woman working in an office got tired of picking various outfits for work. She wore the same dress to work everyday for a year. Obviously with washings on the weekend. She was interviewed on CBC. She said that no one noticed, and no one commented. So, I guess you could wear whatever you wanted.

John, everyone knows that black is completely wrong for a clay studio. It shows dirt[clay], like you wouldn't believe.

My outfit- work shirts and jeans for the studio, Khakis and  a shirt for high school.Never T-shirts for school.

Well, my studio is in the basement so I don't even need to go outside to get to work. Pajamas are a common work outfit around here too. It's pajamas and Crocs for me.

Anytime someone questions whether I'm really a potter, I just show them my Popeye forearm muscles.

I had no idea that linen does not hold stains. Learn something new every day!

They say that a good gimmick helps sales don't they? The suit would definitely add a certain je ne sais quoi and putting clay in your hair would not only be very good at keeping it out of your eyes, but would have the added bonus of lending credibility so that random members of the public will believe that you did in fact make your own pots, regardless of the state of your fingernails.... PSC I think we've solved your credibility problem!

I  work in worn out stained clothes, basically rags once in a while I'll wear my bathrobe.  Yesterday I had a Memorial service to attend so I had 2 hours  and didn't want to change twice so I worked in my robe.  I often wonder what the neighbors think about the woman in rags.   Denice

Guest JBaymore

Suits........ here's another (serious) angle on this.

When I am in Japan and dealing with stuff like my exhibition openings and presentations/lectures and such........ I do wear a suit and tie.  Over there..... when it comes to the formal business side of pottery... it is just that ....... business. 

I think the difference on this approach from things here in the US is that over there ... there can be serious MONEY invloved in the field and the profession has a great level of respect amongst the general populace.

best,

.................john

post-21244-0-25934800-1396913326_thumb.jpg

How we have changed! ..or have we?

1975 at the Ranch Colorado, Prof Paul Soldner glazes in his Undies! Taken from an old 70's Pottery in Aus. journal

No regard for protecting the skin, but definitely a potter! Understatement!!

Guest JBaymore

Having taken workshops with Paul back in that time... he also raku'ed dressed like that. ;)

best,

..........................john

Do You call that dressed! MAN :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

And I've heard that certain students dress in a scanty manner to attract better grades.......................................................

Which toxins bring about that change in attire??? I'll have to avoid them at all costs. :lol:  :lol:

Guest JBaymore

Actually, Soldner might consider that being over-dressed.

Yup... he was well known for 'streaking' at the NCECA dance every year for a LONG time. And his older posters for the equipment were R rated for sure. ;)

best,

...................john

I love a good streaker, its the ultimate comedy act! You don't see them anymore, but in the 70's & 80's in Australia during the cricket season (summer) there was invariably one or two during the international series. It was always hilarious to watch naked people racing and cartwheeling across the oval with the police and security in tow!

Perhaps there could be a  'Paul Soldner Memorial Nudie Run' at NCECA, although they aren't as funny when they're sanctioned!

I wouldn't recommend this for markets though ;)

Actually, Soldner might consider that being over-dressed.

Yup... he was well known for 'streaking' at the NCECA dance every year for a LONG time. And his older posters for the equipment were R rated for sure. ;)

best,

...................john

His ads used wonderful wordplay and were considered risqué -- hey, we're talking about a ceramics magazine. If you look at his website, there is a collection of about 175 or so that you can look over. A potter friend of mine has a classic Soldner poster -- him and a group of his "students" (or devotees/groupies) all in the buff and posing with his, er, equipment. A legend in the so many senses of the word.

Reminds me of a day at Penn State that is a well kept secret. Stephenson a professor at grad classes was called away for a meeting. He had started a lesson exploring the virtues of visualizing everyday objects made out of clay. He had two barrels of really smooth slip, and a pile of various objects for us to dip in clay. We started by dipping objects, and evaluating their look as a group under his supervision. Then he was called to an admin meeting, and eventually things progressed/regressed to 6-8 people running around campus covered head to toe in slip. There were pictures of slip dipped students sitting around a table in one of the gas kilns, in the old iron bathtub for slop, on the potters wheel with someone throwing them. The craziest is when a family of 4 were leaving the creamery ice cream cones in hand, one dropped when a pair of slip dipped streakers went running by.   Oh the 70's were the days! What happened to us?

Archived