62 replies to this topic

#21 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

I must be honest, when I was at nceca I felt a little out of place because I was not 24yrs old with dreadlocks or a guy with a beard.  I felt a bit  "yuppy ish" being 34 and a stay at home mother.  

It was the same for me in college. The "Artsy" students, were wearing paint splattered, retro clothing from the local second hand store, mixed with band apparel from someone I had never heard of. The Graphic Design students wore khakis and button ups or polos.
I took a wide range of classes, so my dress never fit in with either, as I was constantly in sneakers, jeans and a t-shirt.

I never felt out of place, as I wasn't aware there was a required "Artist Dress Code". Since, I'm apparently incorrect, I guess I will have to invest in some berets and smocks.

The fact that you throw pots sitting on a lounge chair speaks oceans, go on youtube, start a movement, not many are so cool!!

Statemnet in red,  great statement.

#22 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,914 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

While I was in last few years of college, I worked in a bank as a trouble shooter/accountant/jack of all trades. I would often leave classes headed for work wearing a near suit sort of look. All too often I would be working in the studio, either ceramics, printmaking, or painting with a tie tucked, and an old flannel shirt on over top. I was also a little older so all of the art students did not think of me as too cool, heaven forbid. I kept that when at HS teaching as I was required to wear a tie in all classes no matter what. Suits were even required on some days. . . . the Superintendent thought that the clothes set the tone and there was only one professional look. 36 years of teaching pottery in a tie. Now there are pictures of some of the oldies doing the same, so who cares.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#23 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:29 PM

I wear a tie, every once in a while, just to mess with students.  I normally don't, so it throws them for a loop, and they think something is going on.

Generally, it's just some khaki dress pants, and a button up...Though this winter, it was usually some type of zip up sweater, by necessity.  Fridays, we can wear jeans.  It's been that way, at two of the three districts, I've taught at.  The other, we were never really supposed to wear jeans.  Even on days, where no students were present, jean were not allowed.  

To me, the teacher sets the tones, by how they handle themselves and the classroom, not by what they wear.  I can wear jeans, and look professional....and quite suave....

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#24 AnnaM

AnnaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:07 AM

I have a very lazy habit of getting out of bed and going straight to the shed (especially at the moment, my next contract starts mid-month so I've not had to go to work for the last month!) and so its more often than not this.

Yep. pyjamas and steel capped boots...its all glamour here in Coburg!

P.S. Benzine is that a lounge suite you're sitting on in your profile picture?!

Attached Files

#25 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:00 AM

Now don't get ideas from Benzine AnnaM!

Wheels in lounge rooms take a lot of explaining, esp if you're renting :D

Also Pyjamas and steel capped boots! :lol:

Keeping the neighbours wondering.

Everyone is out of place but me!

Long hair, hair tie long way away, hair clayed to the head......I'm sure an ancient culture did this,keeps it out of hte eyes a treat.

#26 Chilly

Chilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:17 AM

Just remember bernard leach made pots wearing a suit.  

You mean you don't all throw wearing a suit?  Now I feel out of place !

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

#27 Stellaria

Stellaria

Maker of Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationPetoskey, MI

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:13 AM

I once went in to the arts center to throw while still wearing my Iron Age Briton getup because it was too comfy and I didn't want to change. It meant that my linen bog dress became my smock, and got well-christened with red clay splatters :D It also meant that I confused the crap out of the rest of the clay club :P
The best part - linen doesn't like to take on color, so no staining!

#28 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:50 AM

There was a story I heard on the radio where a woman working in an office got tired of picking various outfits for work. She wore the same dress to work everyday for a year. Obviously with washings on the weekend. She was interviewed on CBC. She said that no one noticed, and no one commented. So, I guess you could wear whatever you wanted.

John, everyone knows that black is completely wrong for a clay studio. It shows dirt[clay], like you wouldn't believe.

My outfit- work shirts and jeans for the studio, Khakis and  a shirt for high school.Never T-shirts for school.

#29 GEP

GEP

Moderator / full time potter ^6 stoneware

• Moderators
  • 801 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

Well, my studio is in the basement so I don't even need to go outside to get to work. Pajamas are a common work outfit around here too. It's pajamas and Crocs for me.

Anytime someone questions whether I'm really a potter, I just show them my Popeye forearm muscles.

I had no idea that linen does not hold stains. Learn something new every day!
Mea Rhee
Good Elephant Pottery
http://www.goodelephant.com

#30 AnnaM

AnnaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

They say that a good gimmick helps sales don't they? The suit would definitely add a certain je ne sais quoi and putting clay in your hair would not only be very good at keeping it out of your eyes, but would have the added bonus of lending credibility so that random members of the public will believe that you did in fact make your own pots, regardless of the state of your fingernails.... PSC I think we've solved your credibility problem!

#31 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

I  work in worn out stained clothes, basically rags once in a while I'll wear my bathrobe.  Yesterday I had a Memorial service to attend so I had 2 hours  and didn't want to change twice so I worked in my robe.  I often wonder what the neighbors think about the woman in rags.   Denice

#32 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

Here is my 13 yr old daughter throwing in Leggings, winter boots, a shirt that is too small for her, and my potters apron.  ;)   

Attached Files

Learning On my Kick wheel with my vintage Paragon (from the late 1960's)

#33 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:48 AM

Suits........ here's another (serious) angle on this.

When I am in Japan and dealing with stuff like my exhibition openings and presentations/lectures and such........ I do wear a suit and tie.  Over there..... when it comes to the formal business side of pottery... it is just that ....... business. 

I think the difference on this approach from things here in the US is that over there ... there can be serious MONEY invloved in the field and the profession has a great level of respect amongst the general populace.

best,

.................john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#34 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

WYSIWYG does it for me, and to hell with everyone else. 

I hope a  tie isn't necessary,  I've not worn one since my Dad's funeral in 1975, I don't think I even own one now.

#35 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

Attached File  Prof Paul Soldner 1975.jpg   36.78KB   2 downloads

How we have changed! ..or have we?

1975 at the Ranch Colorado, Prof Paul Soldner glazes in his Undies! Taken from an old 70's Pottery in Aus. journal

No regard for protecting the skin, but definitely a potter! Understatement!!

#36 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

Having taken workshops with Paul back in that time... he also raku'ed dressed like that. ;)

best,

..........................john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#37 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

Do You call that dressed! MAN :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

And I've heard that certain students dress in a scanty manner to attract better grades.......................................................

Which toxins bring about that change in attire??? I'll have to avoid them at all costs. :lol:  :lol:

#38 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

oooh la la-  thinking of taking a raku workshop in the near futureā€¦   :P

Learning On my Kick wheel with my vintage Paragon (from the late 1960's)

#39 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

attachicon.gifProf Paul Soldner 1975.jpg
How we have changed! ..or have we?
1975 at the Ranch Colorado, Prof Paul Soldner glazes in his Undies! Taken from an old 70's Pottery in Aus. journal
No regard for protecting the skin, but definitely a potter! Understatement!!

Actually, Soldner might consider that being over-dressed.

#40 AnnaM

AnnaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:04 PM

I strongly approve of the menfolk working in their undies.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Selling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users