#22 Stellaria

Stellaria

Maker of Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPetoskey, MI

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:55 PM

I figured my end goal would be building a wood-fired kiln once I got off-grid. Nothing else is actually "sustainable" as you'll always be reliant on an outside fuel source. However, I never did consider solar, as solar systems are rarely actually long-term sustainable. Too much expensive maintenance needed, and you'd need to shell out an insane amount to power anything with heating elements.

#23 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

Look up Experimental Solar Kilns and Firing with Sunlight, old articles from Studio Potter Magazine.

Marcia

#24 Stellaria

Stellaria

Maker of Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPetoskey, MI

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:55 PM

Hey, whaddaya know.... This month's featured potter on the Standard Clay website powers her kilns from solar-generated electricity. http://standardceramic.com

Edited to add: she *does* have her array tied into the grid, and uses the credit system. So none of her solar-generated electricity is stored in batteries.

#25 Doulla

Doulla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSomerset, United Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

I have solar panels on my house to produce electricity. The excess of which goes into the grid and we get paid for this by the electricity company/government. I always try to run my kiln on a sunny day to reduce the cost as much as possible. My small kiln which is 13kw can run entirely from the solar electricity if it is a nice sunny day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users